Chapter 38: Tension Builds

Shakirie huffed as she placed the remaining crates on the ground. The area that she was in was near Kumo as she could see the distant buildings hiding in the towering mountains. She had convinced Tsunade to let her bring the stuff earlier, taking a small force of twenty to begin setting up camp.

She shuddered, thinking of when she had arrived.

Shakirie glared at the forces in front of her, a sneer on her face while the Leaf shinobis tense. "What do you mean, we can't settle here?"

The kumo ninjas looked at one another before one stood forward, "You are in Kumo territory, leave before we use force."

Sneering, she laughed, "You idiots seriously want to fight now? When they're a war around the corner?!"

They took a stance, the leader glaring, "It doesn't matter, you are in Kumo's territory, you have five minutes to leave."

"Oh... I don't think so..."

A massive thud appeared as six golden eyes glared at them.

"You must have received word from Tsunade of Death handling the supplies, have you not?"

They cringed and backed away, "B-But she was not to arrive until the day before the war!"

"I convinced the kage to leave early. I mean, who sets up can the day of the war?!" Shakirie shouted before snapping her fingers. The wind holding the crates settled down and she placed her hands on her hips, "Let the Rai-kage know that we're here."

With that she glanced at Death who gave her a tight nod. With his powerful beats of his wings, he disappeared into the sky.

The Rai-kage was not pleased, but couldn't say anything when the messenger finally arrived by bird and he simply ignored them. At the moment, it was October 6th and over the week, shinobis of all sides had gathered. Looking to the sky, she could see the shadow of Death, hovering slightly, ever watchful.

"Shakirie!" someone tackles her side and she looks to the right to fine the familiar face, Chi Chi.

"Oh! Hey Chi Chi!" smiled Shakirie as she patted the woman's head. "I didn't expect to see you here!"

The old woman smirked, "Well I certainly didn't expect to see you here, Death-sama."

Shakirie laughed, "Looks like my status is know, how did everyone else take it?"

"Ah, those old farts in the counsel didn't like it one bit," she sneered, "They immediately began to form teams to try and capture you." Then she shrugged her shoulders, "But we didn't know who had you."

Shakirie's eyes turned dark, "Hai-hagakure had me..."

Chi Chi's eyes grew wide, "The Village Hidden in the Ash?!" she shouted drawing attention from the other villages.

Sighing, she looks away, "Yeah... I don't know how long I was there. But," she touched her lips, "it... was horrible. They gave me some sort of potion, making me forget who I was..."

The old woman frowned, "How did you escape?"

Shakirie smiled, "My boyfriend came to my rescue."

"He did!" then she began to look around, "Then we're is she, I'd like to meet this brave person who saved you." Then she leered at her, "Is he handsome?"

Smiling, she laughed, "Drop dead gorgeous, even if he's pale as a ghost."

"But not as pale as Sai-kun," whispered a voice.