Chapter 25: Turn for the Worst

“Why…”

“What…”

“What did I do to deserve this…”

Everything all around is just pure darkness. It seemed that no form of light could penetrate this place. Everywhere she looked seemed to be the same. Dark, dreary, and alone.

It was so dark… so lonely… so quiet…

The morning was bright and sunny since the rains had passed. Rayne had literally jumped out of her bed to rush towards the window. Poor Ghosty jumped when she ran by, nearly toppling over her stand. She gave an irritated hoot before settling down once more to sleep. Pushing the windows apart she looked to the sky to see it clear and the trees covered with the remaining dew from earlier.

The door behind her raddled and opened. A yawning Shikamaru gave her a tight glare as he fixed is hair, “What’s gotten you so happy?” he grumbled.

Rayne smile widen before she shoved by, “Freedom!!!” With that shout she threw herself outside and dove into several puddles, “I loves yous puddles!”

Several of the Naras had woken up from her shout and simply stared at her as she created several water figures chasing each other. The deer also joined in, butting the water figures that burst into bubbles. The men of the Naras groaned before going back to their homes while the mothers held their children back, scolding them when they were about to run outside in their pajamas. Few minutes later and Rayne found herself surrounding by children. The mothers watching with sharp eyes in the distance.

Laughing, Rayne formed several other bubbles and bounced and jiggled in the air before it dissolved into snow. Seeing the snow made them gasp and cheered. Rayne performed for a few twenty minutes before she grew tried and dismissed the entertainment into mist that grew into a rainbow. Waving farewell to them, she walked back to the Nara’s head home.

Instantly the door opened to see Mrs. Nara shouting, “You better not come in here all wet!”

Blinking, Rayne look to herself to see her clothes wet and muddy, “Oh, sorry.” Stepping further back she tapped her clothes and all the water evaporated. With the mud she jumped several times before they fell off her in piles. “There, alright?”

Mrs. Nara nodded and allowed her back inside, “The bath’s already filled for you and when you’re done so will breakfast.”

Stepping into the home she felt only Mrs. Nara’s vibration, “Where are the other two?”

“They went on a mission, nothing to worry about.” She called from the kitchen. A bit sadden by the lack of bothering the male Nara’s, she loved to wake them up with a deer to their face, she went to the bathroom to get herself cleaned up.

With a towel wrapped around her head, her kimono fasten, she walked down stairs. Mrs. Nara was finishing placing the two plates on the table when she turned around to find Rayne with a towel on her head. Shaking her head, she turned a chair around and pointed to it. Head a bit lowered she sat where they bossy lady told her too. Taking off the towel, she began to help fix it up.

“You have such lovely hair Ms. Rayne.”

A small blush appeared on her face, “Thank you… the food smells great as usual.”

The older woman chuckled as she finished straightening Rayne’s hair, “Must you always get up early to play with the children. Isn’t there anything you want to do while you’re here at Konaha?”

Rayne shook her head slowly, “No… it’s just that there are no one here to show me around. I know that all the shinobis are busy and that you are here handling your clan politics and problems while your husband’s doing missions. I thought about going out myself, but it feels really lonely.”