Chapter 27: Hello?

The clock on the pale white wall continued to tick for hours. The sound literally vibrating inside Rayne’s mind as she watched the second hand fly by. Though she had continually watched time for what she believed to be days since she woke up in Hai-hagakure. The Yōgankage, Ryuu Shinzui, had regularly visit her whenever he could. Telling her his people and what they do for a living. About how they use the fresh and nutritious lava soil to help grow all they need to support their way of life, but their lack of water had cause them problems. He even went so far as to provide water for his people. However they quickly discovered that without contact with Life she could not provide them with water. She asked if she can talk to him, but a quick ‘no’ silenced her.

The last time they let her wonder around the facilities was yesterday… or was it last week? Rayne did not know. Taking a deep breath she looked to the wall holding the fake window. She had asked him to restore the illusion since she had grown bored of being surrounded by plain walls. When he heard her request a slight gleam appeared on his eyes and he quickly reestablish the false reality of her being in a hospital.

When was the last time she spoke to Life? Hear his strong yet kind voice vibrant in her thoughts? Lifting her arm she look to see the black stone taunting her. Letting her know that he was unreachable. Rayne had asked Ryuu about the stone but he simply stated it was for both of their protection if Life remained in the sidelines. He promised her though that soon she would be reunited with him but not at the moment.

The vessel knew that all his kind words, his emotions, and his friendly attitude was all a ruse to get her to lower her guard. Rubbing the stone with her thumb, her dark brown eyes narrowed. All he wanted was to control one of them, but he missed his opportunity with Shakirie and now that he’s caught her he would try it with her. Looking to the window, she watched as the phony butterflies dance around the flowers, the false wind blowing gently around the meadow.

Suddenly it wavered.

Blinking, she removed her sheets and slid off the bed, smoothing her white dress as she walk to the window. Hand slightly pressed against it, she focused on the scenery once more. There. It rippled again. Frowning, she moved back, and watch as the window slush around like waves before crackling away. The illusion was failing. The door disappeared and her plain white boring walls appeared. Her heart suddenly jump to her throat. The whole floor was shaking as if it went through an earthquake before it suddenly stopped.

Then, unexpectedly, the white walls began to crack. Then one by one hey revealed a black wall decorated with runes and symbols that glowed ominously dark purple. An abrupt pain attacked her hands as she looked to find the stone pulsing with the same color. Pushing both of her hands to her stomach, she curled up tightly to lessen it.

Then a loud bang from the wall where the door was caused her to jump and look to it with wide eyes. A white crack now stood in its place with two voices shouting at each other. Another explosion rippled, creating more cracks form letting several of its parts fall off. Standing up, she walk to the cracked wall and pushed her face against it.

“H-Hello?” she called.

The voices stop before they squawked as a new one joined. “Rayne?!”

“Shakirie?!” she shouted.

“Step back, we’re busting you out!” Shakirie called out and within seconds Rayne dived away as a massive explosion blew the wall apart. Covering her eyes, she felt the dust blow flush around her before it settled down.

Suddenly she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her form, pulling her up and carrying her through the debris. Rubbing her eyes, opened them softly and gasp. Sasuke Uchiha had taken hold of her as they moved over the rubble. Stepping out of the room a loud shout assaulted her mind.