Chapter 51: The Stubbornness of a Ninja

Shakirie was snarling as she released another burst of fire at the roots of the tree. The roots continued to slash at her, spreading out to grasp onto her hind leg or forearm. She sneered when it began to strike forward even quicker, desperate for some sort of advantage.

Death's thoughts pooled into hers, It seems that the tree is growing impatient

I wonder why? Shakirie laughed before she, or rather they, flew higher and higher, until they were just a speck in the sky.

It was strange, being one with Death. From all the stories and theories of what Death would be like. From it being so cold that it would freeze the person's blood to the chilling ghostly touches of death that so many described. But they were all wrong. Death, her Death, was neither cold or dead. It was... warm. As if being wrapped in a cloth of protectiveness. Light touches would cross her forearms like a hand holding onto her body to keep her standing.

If she was to open her eyes up, she would see the battle being fought against Obito and the tree, but if she was to close them, they would not see the darkness that she was used too.

Only a blinding white.

When she had first closed her eyes, just mere seconds after she woke up from her depression, she had saw this. Death was nowhere to be seen, but she could feel him, his new and misty form gently holding her.

"This is where I shall protect you." Was the only thing she heard from him before she opened her, or now there, eyes to continue the fight.

"A stubborn tree," They growled before diving down at the tree.

With a small tilt of their wing, they wrap themselves in a blazing white fire, and struck through more of the roots. Shooting back up, they spread their wings open and scoffed. The roots were regrowing at a rapid pace. Whenever they cut them down, more would just grow in their place.

Glaring at the tree, they snarled, "If we can't cut it down by the roots, then taking the head will have to do!"

Spreading their wings wide, they were fully prepared to charge to the flower only to pause when an explosion was heard. Glancing down, they saw the Kyuubi and Susanoo missing. Narrowing their eyes, they saw Obito holding his arms out, black like wings spread out. Diving down, they landed in a loud thud, glaring at Obito while wrapping a protecting tail around the fallen ninjas.

Obito scoffed at them, "Why do you protect them, Death? Is it not your responsibility to protect the balance?"

"They are not destined to die, Obito, and besides, don't you know why Life and I are here to begin with?"

"We are here to assist the chosen one and restore balance to this broken world."

They froze. When they turn their head, they couldn't believe what they saw. The new dragon smiled at them, this Kirin dragon. The dragon shook their head before huffing, "This is not the time to be caught off guard, Death."

Scoffing, Death face forward, a smile on their face. They didn't need to speak, but the flames and smoke on their body grew larger, more sporadic, to show that they were ecstatic to have Life with them once more.