Chapter 19: Healing

Rayne continued to feel her hair whip across her face as she felt her glider fly faster than she could control. It’s been almost a two full days since she left the Fire Temple to find her friend, Shakirie, and she knew she only had five days left. Maybe she might be able to make it in time to help the monks fight off Kakuzu and Hidan with the help from Shakirie. Tilting the glider higher off the ground, she began to fly above the tree lines, only increasing her height by one foot from the tips of the leafy trees.

Ghosty was enjoying the flight as they both continued to race each other across the sky. The owl however had begun to grow tired, causing her to hold her owl to her chest as she continued to glide. She couldn’t afford to slow down now when she could feel the humid air of Amegakure in the distance.  She only stopped once to change out of her sweaty outfit and put on another kimono, this one black and pink with white sakura petals and other flowers on them.

As the flight continued, she soon began to see several metal towers in the distance gleaming against the rising sun of the third day. Smiling, she soon began to land near the edge of the city where the rumbling sky surrounded the city. At first she thought it was odd to see the storm constantly surround the city only for her to slap her forehead, “The rain was use to spy of the people by Pein!” she shouted to herself before she quickly began to descend to the city.

Landing near the mouth of the Village, she smoothed out her dress and quickly pulled out an umbrella with a veil around it in order to avoid the rain from ruining her dress. Wrapping her and Ghosty who had perched on her patted shoulder, with the umbrella, blocking the rain that had begun to pour, they walked further into the city.

Rayne continued to gape around the city, admiring the shining metallic buildings that she remembered seeing in the show. Just like in the series, all the buildings were impossibly massive as well as fumes and smokes seem to ascend to the sky. Breathing in the air, she chocked a bit before coughing out the air.

As she was walking down the street, holding the umbrella in one hand and digging through her bag in another, she looked up to see none other than Shakirie standing in front of a man. The man seem to stiffen a bit before looking back to see her. Rayne blinked a bit before smiling widely as she saw Itachi wearing regular civilian and in the market with Shakirie. ‘Seems like she finally got her man,’ she giggled before walking towards her.

“Shakirie! I’ve been looking for you!” Roisin shouted as she walked quickly towards them. Itachi looked at her for a second, completely frozen as she approached them both, “Dude I got a bunch of stories to tell you about my travels but why not introduce me to the person next to you?” Though she already knew who it was she couldn’t help herself.

When she finally stood in front of them, waiting for Shakirie to speak, her whole world fell when she her closes friend said, “…Who are you?”

Rayne froze, “W-What?”

Shakirie blinked slowly, as if trying to remember something before she asked again, “Who are you?”

Her breathing hitched as she stuttered, “T-That’s funny Shakirie…it’s me Rayne. You know… your best friend!”

Shakirie brows furrowed before she shook her head, “I’m sorry…”

Rayne’s heart started beating hard against her chest as she ran towards her, dropping the umbrella and bag to the floor. Ghosty shrieked when the water touched her feathers but didn’t move from her shoulder. Itachi didn’t move in front of Shakirie, only watched as Rayne took hold of her friend’s shoulder, shaking her slightly.

“Come on, you know me! We’ve been friends since forever!” she nearly shouted, gathering the attention of the other civilians.

For a moment, Shakirie’s blue eyes seem to brighten; giving hope to Rayne only to have it shattered as the blond shook her head, “I’m sorry.”