Chapter 11

"So I don't really get a say in this? I have to go?" I asked, taking my clothes out of my closet.

"Yes, I think you would enjoy it more being with your father during the week. And seeing me on the weekends." My mother said, helping me pack up.

"Will you even be here on weekends?" I rolled my eyes.

"I can be. And you don't have to be so negative all the time."

"Okay."

....

My dad picked me up and we were on our way to his house. He lived in a slightly bigger one than my mothers. His had an upstairs, three bedrooms, and three bathrooms. He had two dogs and a girlfriend. I hadn't met her yet, but my dad said that she's been dying to see me.

Hopefully she wasn't as young as Harry.

We got there and she was standing in the kitchen talking on the phone. As soon as we came in to sight she hung the phone up and embraced me in a hug like she has known me for decades.

"Mia, hello!" The blonde lady said, smiling. She had a nice white smile. Her red lips made her teeth really pop out. She was in her mid thirties and she was dressed in a grey skirt and matching button up jacket. She looked to be a business woman. And I noticed that she was wearing the same little tag as Harry does, but a different color. She must work at the same place.

"I'm Emerald."

"Mia." I smiled.

My phone began ringing in my back pocket, and I excused myself quickly.

"Hello!" I answered cheerfully, it was Harry.

"Hi, baby girl." He said, his voice was low.

"Hi." I smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, but I've had an awful day."

"Oh, that's too bad." I frowned. "Anything I can do?"

"Are you at your father's?"

"I just got here, he and his girlfriend are here."

"Alright, well you can text me the directions to your dad's and then I'm picking you up tomorrow at 5."

"Well, alright.." I laughed. "What're we going to do?"

"The same thing we always do, Mia. And if I have another day like this one, then I feel bad for you."

"Oh.. Well, I'm sorry.." I frowned. I didn't want Harry to be mad at me.

"All I ask Mia is to be on your toes. Completely obedient."

"Yes sir." I said, before checking out my surroundings.

"Yes who?"

"Yes, daddy."

----

The next day, I got home from school and finished up an English assignment and I unpacked the rest of my things. By the time I was finished, I heard the door bell ring and that meant Harry was here. I toppled down stairs, excitedly until I saw him sitting with Emerald on the sofa.

"Yeah, i came to see Mia about an internship. I had no clue you lived here.."

"Well, that's nice." Emerald nodded, looking away from him. They didn't make much eye contact and their body language told me that they didn't feel comfortable around one another.

I walked the rest of the way down and blurted out an awkward "hi."

"Mia." Harry smiled. "Are you ready to go to the office?" He asked, winking.

"Yes, of course!" I smiled, running along with the lie Harry had made up. "I can't wait to learn about all you do."

  "Emerald, I should be home within a few hours. Maybe 8:30?" I looked at Harry and he nodded.

"Alright.." Emerald said, walking towards the other room. "It was nice seeing you again." She called.

Harry didn't answer, as we walked out the door.

"Do you know her?" I asked.

"All too well." Harry shook his head, climbing in his car.