Chapter 39

After the whole week with Leah, Howie, and Connor we finally arrived home. I missed Harry's home, it was mine too, but he always told me it was ours. He keeps telling me to stop calling it his house.

Adeline had fallen asleep in the car, so we took her in and put her in the crib while Harry and I got the things from the car.

I unpacked our things and threw a load in the washer while Harry settled in to watch tv.

"Do you think we should let Ad sleep through the night, you know let her cry?"

"Well she's right beside us, we would hear her if she woke up." I shrugged. "Plus the doctor gave us the ok to stop waking her up and we've been doing it still all week."

"Yeah, I'll probably still wake up anyway just because I'm used to it." Harry huffed. "I'm so tired."

"Me too, but maybe we can get more than an hour of sleep tonight. Let's just try not to worry about it."

"I'll try. We should wake her up, she's been asleep for about an hour and a half. It's 5:30, she won't sleep tonight."

"I bet she's thinking in her little mind, 'stop waking me up you fucks!' " I laughed, standing to go get her.

"Probably , but it's for her own good."

The rest of the evening, Harry fed Adeline while I cooked supper for us. We've been eating good lately, Harry's aunt cooked for us the past three nights. She cooked very good meals. It made me feel sorry for Adeline that she only could drink milk.

Harry claimed he was gaining weight and losing sleep so he needed to start eating better. We've been really eating fast food a lot lately due to my lack of sleep.

Harry understood I was tired, though so he never fought about what we ate. He ate anything anyway. He wasn't a hard man to feed.

"I'm going to start going to the gym again. Like, sometime this week." He said, sitting down in the recliner.

"You already look fit, Harry." I smiled. He looked much more fit when we met, but I absolutely loved him when he was kind of pudgier. He was much more comfortable to lay on. I didn't really like a rock hard stomach.

"I've lost my perfect sculpted stomach." He groaned, raising his shirt up.

"I like it. You look like a dad now."

"You have a thing for older guys?" He smirked.

"No, I just think you look fine. If anything I need to go to the gym. I haven't lost all my fat from the baby. I weigh at least 10 more pounds than before I had her."

"Baby, you look fine." He rolled his eyes. "I love having you to hold on to."

"Still though. It would be better if my stomach was more flat."

"You're perfect."

I smiled at his compliment , and I decided to discontinue the conversation. It was around 9:30 before Adeline fell asleep on Harry's chest. I took a closer look and he was fast asleep too, lightly snoring.

I grabbed his phone from the table and took a few pictures of them from different angles. I carefully grabbed Adeline, trying not to wake her. I put her in her crib, making sure to turn the heat up a little bit. It was cold and I didn't want a blanket in the crib with her. She only had a tight pink and yellow sheet on the tiny mattress. That was it, Harry refused to let her have anything else. He was afraid she would smother.

I kissed her head before laying her down and I went to wake Harry up. He stood up slowly, wiping his eyes. He sloppily kissed me on the cheek and walked to the bedroom, groggily. I shut off all of the lights and turned the tv off. I turned the dim night light on above Adeline's crib so I could see her at night , after all that I laid down to go to sleep.

Around 3AM, I felt Harry get up from the bed. I saw him standing over Adeline's crib, he was probably holding his finger under her nose to check if she was breathing. He did that often.

A few minutes later, he got back in to bed and pulled me close to him. I felt his lips press against my head and I Smiled, soon falling back asleep. The sleep was deep and nice. I hadn't felt sleep in a long while.

I woke up at 7AM sharp, coming to realization that Adeline slept through the whole entire night. I knew she was a good baby, but not this good. She had to have wanted something at some point during the night. I peeked over her and smiled at her in her sleep.

I brushed her hair from her head and I decided to wake her up. She was probably hungry and she definitely needed a change.

I picked her up in my arms, and she still didn't move. Her eyes didn't squeeze shut like they normally did when I woke her up, and she didn't make any noises. My heart dropped to my feet and I held her back away from me. She was limp, and she wasn't breathing.

"Harry!" I screamed.

"What is it, baby?" He sat up, alarmed.

"Addie! She's not breathing Harry!"

"What do you mean?" He panicked, jumping from the bed, taking Adeline from me. He laid her on the bed and placed his hand on her chest, but her heart wasn't beating.

"Baby, call an ambulance.." He spoke, as tears ran down his face. But I wasn't able to move.