Chapter 49: The Storm

Forgive me if I get things wrong about soccer. I played it for a year when I was very young.

Also forgive me for what I'm about to do.

Utica's POV

Today's a very drowsy day. The clouds are filtering the sky into shades of gray and white. It looks just like it did when Mom and Addisen died. I'm also on my period, so that doesn't make it any better. When I told Dad, he shoved Advil and water in my face then pushed me out the door. I don't blame him. Periods do a number on me. I quickly swallowed two of the pills with the water and put the bottle in my backpack as I walked to school since it's not far away.

Something bad's gonna happen. I can feel it, and it's not just the pain from my you-know-what. I just know something's not right. I can't pinpoint it, but I feel the same way I did before sixth hour that day: nauseous, confused, afraid, and doubtful that nothing would happen, even though it did.

Sighing, I brushed it off and walked into the building, heading towards my locker. I saw Ari waiting for me there, her backpack already put away. "Hey!" I chimed with my usual peppiness.

"Hey." she smiled back, not noticing my worry. You see, when someone like me is always happy, showing no emotion and only concern for others, they often forget your feelings exist. Now I'm not blaming Ari. I'm no Elsie, but I have a pretty darn good façade if I do say so myself. The reason I do this is because I don't want people to be concerned with my sentiments.

"See ya!" I waved as I walked in my direction towards my boring ol' class. She waved back, going her separate way. As class went on, I swore the feeling got worse.

It's nothing, Utica. It's nothing. I thought.

It's nothing...right?

Ian's POV

"Hey, where's Elsie?" I asked everyone at the table.

"Probably doing makeup work since she's failing English." Cider said as she ate her sandwich.

"Musical practice takes up all of her devotion, so she flunks practically every class." Ari chuckled.

"She'll graduate, right?" Theo inquired.

"Yes, Dad." Ui giggled, making the guys and I send her a questioning look while Aria looked pretty pissed.

"CIDER AND THEO ARE NOT THE PARENTS OF THE GROUP!" she yelled, pointing at 'Dad'.

"Yes they are!" Ui shot back, laughing.

"Seriously though, they do seem like good parents." Tanner agreed.

I nodded, nudging Theo. "Daddy-"

"Don't even think about it."

We burst out laughing——even Ari, who was trying to stop.

"So, are y'all gonna come to Ui and I's game?" Cider announced mid-calming down.

"Totally." Theo smiled in that way he always does, making Cider blush and look away.

"I'll come." Ari said. Tanner's and my mind went to a dirty place and Hunter nudged her, wiggling his eyebrows. "Oh hell no. You did not just turn into Tanner."

"Hey!" Tanner retorted.

"She's got a point." Ui, Hunter, and I said unison.

"Hmph. Of course I'll be there. The whole school's coming to this one."

Yeah, this game is our school versus our rival, East Oregon High. At least the name of our school is more interesting than that bland old title, my heck. It's like our version of Bedlam. We have a big rivalry, but it's not as big as some of the other school's in the nation.