Max Verstappen - Failing

Max is 19, Y/N is 17

"I'm not gonna make it Max," I tell him through the laptop, as we're skyping together. Max is away, it's racing weekend. Meanwhile, I'm at home, studying for my exams. Though I don't really know why I even bother, as I already know my first one didn't go well, which was the most important one. If I fail that one, the others won't even matter anymore, I'll have to redo the year.

"I'm sure that's not true," Max replies, trying to cheer me up.

"It is. There's no way I've passed the first exam Max and that was the most important one."

"You don't know that."

"I do, I hardly knew any of the answers."

"Everything will be fine Y/N, I'm sure of it," Max tells me and I can see he's frustrated with the fact he's so far away from me right now.

"Let's hope so. Anyway, how are you doing?" I ask, in need of a topic change. Max's stories always interest me and they're a good distraction right now.

"The marks for the first exam are online," I hear one of my classmates say the following week, making my stomach drop. This will tell me whether I have to redo the year or not. I go to a quiet place before I get out my phone, wanting to be by myself when I see my result. I go to the website where our marks are published and quickly go to the right subject.

Failing mark.

Even though I already expected it, tears still appear in my eyes. Redoing the year is the last thing I want as it means it'll be another year before I can travel along with Max. My parents promised me that if I finished high school, I could travel with Max and follow an online study after that. If I didn't have to redo the year, next year would be my final one.

As I don't feel like talking to anyone right now, I go home as quickly as I can. Once I get home, I open my laptop to skype Max. He isn't coming to the Netherlands in between races this time as it's very tiring for him to travel so much. Of course I'm sad about it, but I understand.

It doesn't take long before Max answers my skype call, a smile on his face as he does. I smile back, happy to see him after the day I've had.

"Hey," I greet him and Max frowns slightly, hearing the sadness in my voice no matter how much I tried to hide it.

"Hey, what's going on?" he asks worried.

"I failed the exam," I tell him, knowing there's no use to sugarcoat it.

"Oh no! That really sucks."

"It does," I say as tears start appearing in my eyes again.

"Oh baby, don't cry!" Max says and I can tell he really wants to be here with me right now, to comfort me and to be there for me.

"I just really wanted to finish high school so that I could come with you!"

"I know, but you'll still be able to do that!"

"But now it'll take another year and I miss you."

"I miss you too, but we'll still see each other. And as soon as you have your diploma, you can come along with me."

"It just sucks that we have to wait another year to be together."

"We can still be together, just not all the time."

"I can't wait to be with you all the time," I sigh and Max nods in agreement.

"Me neither baby," he tells me and just then I hear someone walk into his room. The person says a few things to Max and I already know he has to go.

"I have to go," Max tells me as I expected.

"I know, good luck babe. I'll see you soon."

"I'll see you soon. Hang in there."

"I'll try."

"I love you," Max tells me, making me smile.

"I love you too," I say before we both hang up. I think about what Max could be doing right now as I sit on my bed. I see no point in doing school things as I'll have to do it again next year anyway. Instead, I decide to watch a race, one where Max ended up on the podium so I'll be able to see him smile.

Two years later - Max is 21, Y/N is 19

"Congrats baby!" Max exclaims as he wraps his arms around me, pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you!" I reply, hugging him back. I just received my diploma, finally finishing high school.

"I'm so proud of you," Max tells me before giving me a kiss.

"Thank you. I can't wait until the summer is over."

"Me neither, it's gonna be amazing to have you with me all the time."

"That's gonna be the best part," I say, smiling at Max who mirrors my smile.

"What are your plans for the summer though?" Max asks and I think about the long summer ahead of me. Even though I'll be traveling with Max, I'll still start school in the fall, though it being online.

"Not sure, just relaxing and enjoying my time off I guess. Why?"

"Well, I was thinking, as you'll be traveling with me, you might as well come live with me in Monaco, right?"

"Is formula 1 driver Max Verstappen asking me to move in with him?" I fake gasp, making Max chuckle.

"Yes, yes I am."

"Well, I have to think about it," I say, pretending to think hard about Max's question, though I already know my answer. But it's still fun to make Max sweat a little. It's funny how he has no problem driving a car with over 300 km/h around a track, but he gets nervous when asking me to move in with me. It's kind of cute.

"I'd love to move in with you," I say after a few minutes, making Max smile in relief, wrapping me into a hug.

"You have no idea how happy you make me Y/N," Max whispers into my ear, making tears appear in my eyes. Happy tears this time.

"You make me really happy as well Max," I say as Max wipes the tears from my eyes.

"I love you," he tells me.

"I love you too," I say, just before Max presses his lips against mine.

This one was kind of requested by formula1islife, I hope you liked it girl :)

If you want to request a one shot as well, you can pm me :) Just tell me which driver and what you want the one shot to be about!!

Love Evy
Instagram: readracewrite
Twitter: readracewrite