My Own Personal Savior

"Hermione and I did not speak of Ron again after that. It hurt too much, the betrayal too fresh. It was nearing Christmas when we decided to visit Godric Hallows. I begged her to let us go, she didn't think it was a good idea. I wanted to visit my parent's graves, I had never been there before. That's what finally let Hermione relent. That was a mistake." Draco was confused. "We met Bathilda Bagshot. Well what we thought was her. Turned out it was Nagini possessing the body. Voldemort found out we were there and he came." Draco's breath hitched.

"My head was on fire. I couldn't focus. Hermione cast a spell and got us out of there. Barely. We got away. Voldemort was unhappy at that. My wand had been destroyed in the blast from her spell. We took turns keeping watch. One night I saw a patronus. I followed it." Draco narrowed his eyes.

"You followed an unknown patronus after narrowly escaping Voldemort?" Draco asked incredulously. Harry gave a sheepish smile. "When you say it like that I see what you mean. But yes, I did." Draco shook his head in bemusement, wondering how thick someone could be. "I followed it to a small pool of water. It was frozen over with ice but at the bottom of the pool was the sword of Gryffindor." Draco interrupted.

"No way. It was just sitting there? Was it real? Sounds like a trap. Who cast the patronus? Did you see anyone?" Draco asked in a rush. Harry smiled at his enthusiasm.

"Yes, it was just sitting there. Yes, it was real. No, it wasn't a trap. You will have to wait to find out who cast it and no I didn't see anyone." Harry laughed at the impatient whine Draco let out. Despite spilling his whole life out, he was really enjoying spending this time with Draco. He had never felt so free before. Draco was nice company. Patient, caring, didn't force any issues. Didn't nag for details and didn't get frustrated. He quickly realized that he didn't want it to end. He wanted to spend more time with Draco after this. He wanted to continue being his friend. He had never been this close to someone before. It was a little unnerving but he didn't care. It felt right.

Draco was confused about all the different emotions that he could see on Harry's face. He wanted to ask but figured he would tell him in his own time.

"I did the only logical thing I could think of. I stripped down and jumped into the frozen lake and made my way to the sword." Draco snorted. "Guess there is a reason you were not put in Ravenclaw." Draco drawled with a smirk. Harry rolled his eyes and gave him a playful shove. "Alright I admit not the best plan of action. But with the sword just being gifted to me on a silver platter, I had to do something. Going to get Hermione didn't seem like the right thing to do at the time. Anyways. I still had the locket on me and the closer I got to the sword, the locket knew what was coming, it knew exactly what the sword could do. It tightened the chain around my neck. It was choking me. I couldn't get back up. The chain was so tight it was cutting off my circulation. I was dying and I knew it." Draco covered his mouth in horror. Harry had to hold back a smile. Draco was the perfect story listener.

"But right before I was about to pass out someone saved me. They got me, the locket, and the sword out of the water safely. It was Ron." Draco was surprised. He was still mad that Weasley had abandoned them in the first place. Not very Gryffindor. But him saving Harry made it a little easier to forgive. Not that he'd admit that.

"He said that he had been trying to get back to us the moment he left. He took full credit for what happened. The locket did make his anger worse but he knew what he had done was wrong. He wasn't the one who cast the patronus or put the sword there. He hadn't seen who cast it either. Since Ron pulled the sword out of the water I gave him the honor of destroying the locket. It worked. Another one down. Three down. Only Three to go." Draco put up a hand.