Dementors and Hallows

Severus rubbed his face with his hand. "Yes and no. It is hard to explain. Necromancy is the darkest magic known to man. Sacrificial magic is just as awful so I suppose it might depend on who you ask and the perspective of the opinion. The dead aren't meant to come back alive. There is a reason they are dead to begin with. Breaching the veil and disturbing their slumber in the afterlife is no easy feat. Only select few can even master that. Which is why they are incredibly rare. Necromancy isn't a good thing, people on both sides of the magical spectrum are wary of it. Light, Dark and even Grey don't mess with necromancy. The people who dabble in that type of magic are in their own little category. The Dark Lord had used the only necromancer that he could find and we already told you how low level the guy was when it came to necromancy." Severus paused for a moment and Lucius picked up the thread of conversation.

            "But what the Flamels were doing isn't something that I would classify as normal necromancy. They aren't bringing the dead back. With Ethan's ritual, they were sacrificing lives by putting their victim's life force inside the Sorcerer's stone. That is a tricky category. Because Ethan wasn't dead at the start of the ritual but did end up dying to make the stone. So, it is a tiny sliver on the Necromancy scale of things. I am quite disappointed with myself for not making this connection sooner." He said wrinkling his nose.

            "How are we supposed to fight against necromancers?" Draco asked in frustration.

            Severus arched a brow. "Who said that they were necromancers? Just because they can perform this small branch off of the necromancer magic does not mean that they are actual necromancers. I am not saying that they aren't because we have nothing to go off of but don't just assume that they are."

            "But wouldn't the use of the language of the dead be proof that they are necromancers?" Harry asked curiously. He wasn't sure if they were necromancers or not but they sure were creepy enough to be ones.

            Lucius tilted his head considering the question. "I don't know. It would mean that they either are some form of a necromancer or they learned this from one. Even 700 years ago necromancy wasn't something that people openly admitted doing. The only time the ministry sanctioned the use of one was when they implemented the dementors into Azkaban."

            Harry wheezed. "Are you telling me that dementors were once people?" His voice came out hysterical. He had always just thought that dementors were some obscure magical creature that liked being under the control of wizards, like house elves.

            Severus shot Harry an unimpressed look. "Harry they eat souls to sustain their existence. You can't kill a dementor once it has been created. Dementors are a level above Inferi but not by a whole lot. One glaring difference is that inferi have to maintain a constant supply of magic to keep them going. Which is not the case with a dementor. Every single dementor at one point had been a dead body, just like an inferi. They were reanimated and twisted by the dark magic. I can't really say that there is a point to dementors. They were created by a necromancer who wanted to wreak havoc on the world. Dementors aren't completely mindless like an inferi. Inferi can't think for themselves. They only do their masters bidding and that is it. There is some conscious thought among dementors. Most people think that the ministry has them under control but that is the furthest thing from the truth. The dementors only guard Azkaban because they want to."

            "Because of the supply of happy memories that they suck out of the prisoners?" Harry supplied.

            Lucius snorted. "No. Hogwarts really needs to up their syllabus." Remus agreed, the Ministry had implemented select courses that were 'no go' lessons. There were things that they were not allowed to teach the students. A lot of the lessons were common sense, things that parents should be teaching if they wished. But there was a lot that the students should be learning but the teachers just weren't allowed to teach them.