Valentine's day

Jordan- 6

It was that time of year again, it was a couple days before Valentine's day. Jordan was excited because she was having a Valentine's day party in her class and Erin was helping her bake cupcakes.

"So Jordy are you excited about your party?" Erin asked.

"Yup and could you help me with something else Erin. Please". Jordan replied to her sister.

"Sure sweetie what is it".

"Well everyone is gonna be giving out Valentine's in my class but I wanna make a special one".

"Who is it for?" Erin then gulped down some water.

"My boyfriend".

Erin had choked on her water when that word left her sister's mouth. Boyfriend. This wasn't gonna go well with Justin or Hank, especially Hank.

"Jo you're too young for a boyfriend sweetie".

"But you have one".

"Well that's different I'm an adult so I'm allowed to date. Besides boys have cooties".

"Do Justin and daddy?"

"Do they what?"

"Have cooties".

"No not them".

"But you said boys have cooties and they are boys".

"Well they're grown up so they don't have it anymore".

The six year old shrugged and went back to the cupcakes, Erin was just glad the conversation didn't go any further. Once the cupcakes were finished and they cooled the two sisters began to put the icing on them, Jordan then decided to take some of the icing and swipe it across her sister's cheek.

"Two can play that game sis". Erin then took a small dab and smeared it across Jordan's cheek.

They then went back and forth for a while, once the cupcakes were baked and frosted they put them in containers and put them away. Jordan then got out her art supplies and began doing her special Valentine's card.

It was now nearing 8 in the evening Hank and Justin were now coming in the house from work, they saw Jordan at the table while Erin quickly emerged from the kitchen holding a cooking spoon.

"You're just in time for dinner". Erin said.

The six year old turned around to see her father and brother so she dropped her pen and hopped down from the chair running to them.

"Daddy!" Jordan crashed into her father's legs. He then picked her up kissing her head.

"Hey sweetheart how was your day". He said.

"It was good, Erin helped me make cupcakes for my Valentine's party at school. We're gonna give out Valentine's and everything".

"That sounds like a lot of fun Jo Jo". Justin said.

They walk over to the table to see Jordan's art work, it was a heart shaped card with some writing in the middle.

"Who's this for Jo?" Hank asked his little girl.

"My boyfriend at school".

Erin had stepped in the doorway to see what was going to play out. Hank and Justin were stunned by the six year old's words.

"You're what friend?" Hank tried to keep his voice gentle.

"My boyfriend, his name is Tyler".

"Jo Jo you're too young for a boyfriend". Justin said.

"But Erin has a boyfriend".

"Well that's different she's a grown up she's allowed too, you're just a little girl who doesn't need one for a very long time". Hank says softly.

"Is it because boys have cooties?"

The three adults chuckled at the young girl.

"Yes boys have cooties". Justin chuckled.

"But you and daddy don't have cooties".

"So who's hungry". Erin finally said.

The dinner was dished out onto the plates and they ate while making small conversation, after dinner Jordan went upstairs to get ready for bed while Justin and Hank washed the dishes. Erin was standing in the doorway smirking at the father and son.

"Guys she's six years old it's nothing but puppy love". Erin said.

"Puppy love or not I don't like it". Justin replied.

"Justin they're six what are they gonna do? They don't know about that yet".

"And she never will know about that". Hank said.

"Hank you can't be like this forever, what's it gonna be like in ten years when Jordan goes on her first date?"

"Justin or I will chaperone".

"I'll scare them off". Justin added.

"You two are something". Erin chuckled.

2 days later

It was now Valentine's day, Jordan had asked Erin to help her to find something to wear to school for her party. She pulled out a bright red sweater dress along with some white tights and her sneakers. Once Jordan was dressed Erin did her hair in a braid.

"How do I look Erin?" Jordan twirled around in her dress.

"You look very beautiful Jo". Erin said.

The two went downstairs to see Hank and Justin sipping on hot coffee.

"Daddy, Justin, don't I look pretty". Jordan asked.

The father and son turn to see Jordan twirling around in her dress.

"You look very pretty Jo Jo". Justin said.

"You are beautiful sweetheart". Hank says, giving her a smile.

She then quickly got a few things from her art stuff one of the items she put in her backpack the other two she held in her small hands. She walked over to her father and brother and gave them each one of the red hearts.

"What's this Jo?" Hank asked.

"I made you Valentine's". She answered.

The two men smiled and hugged the little girl, Justin had taken his sister to school while Hank and Erin headed to the district. When they arrived Hank was in his office looking at the homemade card his daughter had given him.

It was a red heart shaped card on one side it said, 'To the best daddy in the whole world happy Valentine's day love Jordan'. On the other side it was a picture of him with Jordan as they held hands. Hank had a couple of tears going down his cheeks so he quickly wiped them, he knew one thing for sure no matter how old Jordan got she'll always be his little girl and that is one thing that will never change.