First Day of School

Jordan- 5

It was now the beginning of Fall and it's the start of a new school year, and for Jordan it was gonna be her first time going to Kindergarten. The five year old was a little scared of leaving her father, brother, and sister for the whole day, she wanted to stay at home with them she didn't want to go to school. What if the other kids didn't like her? What if she got picked on?

Hank had awoke early one morning and began making breakfast for his kids, Justin then went to wake his sister he quietly entered her room and went over to her side.

"Jo Jo it's time to get up kiddo, come on wakey wakey". Justin sings playfully.

Jordan woke up to see her older brother. "What Justin?" Her voice filled with sleep.

"It's you're first day of school kiddo, dad's making breakfast".

"I don't wanna go to school, I wanna stay with you, daddy, and Erin".

"Jo you'll make all kinds of friends at school and you'll get to do a lot of fun stuff".

"Like what".

"You get to play, read new books, make new arts and crafts, and sometimes you'll go on a trip with your class".

"But what if the other kids don't like me?"

"Why wouldn't they like you Jo? You're one of the best kids I know".

"I guess I could give it a try".

"Atta girl".

Justin left the room so she could change, Jordan pulled a blue princess shirt out along with a pair of black jeans she then pulled her socks on then her shoes. She left her shoes untied because she didn't know how to tie them, her long brown hair was still fuzzy and messed up.

Hank set plates out on the table, Justin sat down at one of them then Jordan entered the kitchen hold her brush and her laces on the floor.

"Daddy can you help me please". Jordan says.

"Sure sweetheart come over here". Hank replies, chuckling.

She went over to her father and sat down he took the brush and brushed her long brown hair and braided it. Once he had her hair braided he set the brush down and began tying her shoelaces, soon she was already.

"All done Jo". Hank said.

Jordan ate her eggs and bacon while Hank put all her stuff in her backpack and got her lunch ready, there was a knock on the door and Justin went to answer it he opened the door to see Erin.

"Hey Erin, what's up". Justin said.

"I thought I'd come to see Jo off to her first day of school". Erin replies.

"Come in we were about to head out soon".

Jordan saw her sister and ran over hugging her. "Hi Erin, today I go to school".

"I heard, are you excited".

"I'm nervous".

"It's ok to be nervous Jordy, everyone gets nervous on their first day".

"We should head out before we're late". Hank said.

He helped Jordan put her backpack on then handed her a purple lunch box, the small family headed out bringing Jordan to school. Once at the school Jordan clutched her father's hand as they walked down the hallways.

"Daddy can I stay with you please?" Jordan asked.

"I wish you could sweetheart but you'll have a lot of fun here at school". Hank replies.

"Jo Jo how about after school we'll get some ice cream". Justin spoke.

"Really?" The five year old was excited.

"Really".

They arrived to the classroom and headed inside, when they saw the classroom it was filled with children playing, the walls filled with education stuff with arts and crafts. Laughter filled the whole room. Just then an woman in her late thirties with black shiny hair tied up into a ponytail, she wore a simple red t shirt, blue jeans, and sneakers.

"Hi I'm, Ms. Green I'll be the kindergarten teacher this year". Ms. Green said.

"I'm Hank Voight this is my son Justin, this is Erin Lindsay, and my daughter Jordan but she likes to be called Jo". Hank said introducing them.

Ms. Green bent down and saw Jordan as she tried to hide behind her father and brother.

"Hi Jo, do you wanna come and play with the other kids".

Jordan looked up at her father her eyes were wide a bit.

"Go on sweetheart I'll be back at 2:30 sharp to pick you up". Hank tells her.

Before the five year old went with the teacher she hugged her brother, Erin, then her father she whispered in her father's ear. "I love you daddy".

"I love you too baby".

They all kissed her head then left, Jordan put on a brave face and went to play with the other kids. As she was playing a little boy around her age came up to her.

"Hi I'm Tommy". Tommy said.

"I'm Jordan but you can call me Jo". Jordan said shyly.

"Wanna play?"

"Sure".

As the day went on Jordan's mood completely change, the five year old loved school and she loved all her new friends.

Hank was at work with no case he kept looking at his watch waiting for it to be 2:30, so far it was only past 12:30. He didn't like leaving his little girl out of his sights for so long but it wasn't a choice.

It was 2:20 before Hank finally got up from his desk, he got his jacket on and grabbed his keys heading out to his SUV. He drove to the elementary school to pick up his baby girl it was only 6 hours but it felt a lot longer to him. The older father arrived to the school and headed to the classroom.

When he got closer to the classroom he heard children's laughter, he saw other parents passing by with their children leaving. He got to the classroom to see the remaining children running around and playing, Hank saw his little girl playing with a group of children. Hearing her laughter was music to his ear and it always put a smile on his face. Ms. Green saw the older father and went over to him.

"Hi Mr. Voight, today Jordan was amazing. She is such a sweet and kind little girl". She tells the father.

"I'm very proud of her". Hank replies.

Jordan heard her father's gruff voice and when she looked over and saw him her brown eyes were filled with excitement as she ran over to him.

"Daddy!" Jordan yells excitedly, running to him.

Hank got down on one knee just as Jordan crashed into him hugging him. "There's my girl".

He got her stuff and then took a hold of her hand the father and daughter walked down the hallways.

"How was school sweetheart?" Hank asked.

"It was fun, we sang song, read book, and played. I like school". Jordan replies, her voice filled with excitement.

"I'm glad you had fun today baby".

As they go home Jordan tells her father about all about her day at school. Hank had a huge smile on his face as he heard his little girl talk and laugh.