Bike Ride

Jordan- 6

One summer afternoon Jordan had wanted to ride her new bike, she had finally told her father she didn't want training wheels on her bike anymore. She wanted to ride a 2 wheeler like her friends.

While she was getting her helmet and pads, Justin was helping his father take the training wheels off her bike.

"Hard to believe Jo Jo is already 6 and now she wants the training wheels off her bike. Where did the time go?" Justin asked.

"I ask myself that everyday with the two of you" Hank spoke with a smile.

"I'm ready" Jordan came out wearing a pink princess tank top and the shorts with her sneakers. She had her helmet and pads on as well.

Hank had a smile, he couldn't believe how much his little girl had grown in just six short years. It seemed like yesterday he brought her home and now she's a little girl. She was growing up right before his eyes.

"The training wheels are off, you sure you want them off?" Justin asked his sister.

"Yup" She gave a nod. "I'm a big kid, I wanna be like my friends"

"Come on sweetheart" Hank told her with the same smile.

She had gone down and hopped on the bike she wobbled trying to get her balance. Hank had held one side of the bike and Justin held the otherside so she could balance herself. The six year old was nervous but didn't show it. If her father and brother never showed it neither will she. She wanted to be just like them.

"I'm ready. Promise you won't let go?" She looked between her brother and father.

"We promise," Justin says, kissing her cheek.

They slowly moved the bike as Jordan started to peddle, they kept it up for a little bit. Once Jordan had gotten a good enough speed by herself they very slowly had let go and pulled back.

"No! Don't let go I'm not ready"

"You're ready sweetheart" Hank called after her. "Keep pedaling. You got this"

"You got this Jo Jo" Justin called after his sister as well.

"I'm doing it! I'm really doing it!" Jordan said looking back at her father and brother.

"Jo look ahead!"

She saw the tree and couldn't stop as she crashed, the father and son had ran after her. The six year old got up and brushed herself off.

"Jo, you alright honey?" Hank asked, scanning her for injuries.

"I'm fine. I wanna do that again" She said excitedly.

"Just please watch what's ahead of you so you don't get hurt"

"I will"

Erin had come over, Jordan wanted to show her sister that she could ride her bike without training wheels. She picked the bike up and got on it and started to pedal keeping her balance.

"Erin! Erin, look at me!" The six year old called.

The woman had seen her sister and smiled proudly. "Jordy, you're riding a 2 wheel bike"

"Yup. I'm gonna be like all the kids at school. And I'm gonna be like daddy and Justie. They aren't afraid of anything"

"Why don't we go in for some lemonade? It's quite hot out here" Hamk said, the smile never leaving his face.

They all had gone in as Hank brought his daughter's bike in. Part of him was happy, he was able to see the small milestones his daughter accomplished. He was there for them, he was a part of them. But the other half of him was sad and upset. It was moments like this he wished Anna were here to see them and enjoy them with him but she wasn't. When he looked at the bright blue sky he knew deep down that Anna was always seeing their little girl's milestones and accomplishments. He knew Anna was looking over them and watching them.

"Our little girl is growing up Anna, she looks more and more like you everyday. She takes after me, she's not afraid of much. She's brave and fearless like you. I wish you could be here with us" He says softly looking to the sky.

Erin had gone out. "Hank you alright?"

"Yeah, just grabbing Jo's bike to bring in"

"What is it?"

"Erin I promise it's nothing"

"It's something"

He sighed. "I was thinking how Anna is missing all of Jo's life and she can't see it or see the moments"

"That's not true. She may not be here Hank, but she's watching every day. She watched Jordy get on that bike and ride it. She's proud of everything Jordy has done, everything Justin has done, and most of all everything you have done"

"You think so?" A small smile creeped on his face.

"I know so. Let's go inside"

Hank had carried the bike in, when he got inside he saw Justin tickling and chasing his youngest around. Jordan laughed and giggled as she ran from her brother. All the while Hank is smiling. He was glad to have the happiness he had in his life.