No respect

"blake! what is taking so long" you yell as your eldest kid, jessica comes down stairs.

"can i stay after school for student council" she says with her head glued to her phone.

"i don't know, me and your father have to go to back to school night for blake, I'm not sure if I could pick you up" you explain and she rolls her eyes.

"SHAWN, BLAKE! GET DOWN HERE SCHOOL STARTS IN 30 MINUTES" you now scream.

"jeez mom, i'm coming" blake complains and immediately grabs an orange with a plate of eggs and pancakes.

"drop the attitude" you say while shawn stomps down the stairs  still in his pjs.

"morning guys" he says patting jessica and blake on the head, giving you a kiss.

"shawn i need you to pick up blake from soccer practice then come back and get ready for back to school night for blake" you say and clean up from breakfast.

"ok, jessica did you finish your math project?" shawn asks and she puts her phone down.

"no, it's not due till friday" she says while sipping on her orange juice.

"bull, i just talked with your teacher, if i see an f no phone for two weeks" he says in a stern voice.

"you aren't in the class with me dad" she snaps and he looks at you, your face in complete shock of how much attitude your kids have been giving us.

"you two, look at me." shawn demands and they do so.

"i don't know what's up with you two but me and your mother deserve respect. we work our butts off to make sure you guys have what you want. the least you guys could be doing is your school work and give us the basic respect. now, next time any of you guys act up, you can over your grandmothers house" he says calmly, but so meaningful.

"i'm sorry mom and dad" they say at the same time, you nod and take a deep breath. You were so stressed that the kids just never appreciated anything. You walk into the mud room and shawn follows.

"baby? what's wrong" he asks rubbing your back.

"shawn, these kids don't respect me. i- i know i'm not their birth mother and i'm a step parent but i deserve respect" you cry and he sighs holding me close.

"y/n it's hard for them still, their mom just died two years ago. i promise they will warm up soon" he smiles and kisses you.