10. Promising Fire

Tristan was not happy about his father's way of speaking about Vienna. He was there in their kitchen when he made the phone call to Vienna. He did not like it one bit. Once, the kitchen was empty as his siblings and his mother went to get changed, Tristan closed the door and faced his father "I need a word."

Emanuelle asked "A word? Go ahead son." He then put his hands in his pockets standing tall facing his son who was now around same height as him.

Tristan spoke in a low tone "Father, it ends now. You can't joke about my relationship with Vienna. I try hard to show I have honour and respect. Rosarios are not like us. They don't do humour. Francesco Rosario does not tolerate jokes about his daughter..."

Emanuelle smiled "Son. Firstly. I don't see you trying hard to show honour. You don't speak up against Francesco's wife sending your girl away."

Tristan argued "I will not hold her back. If she really wants to go, I will not stop her. But I will speak up if her mother tries to make her choices for her."

Emanuelle responded "She already has. She filled out a form for her. The form that Vienna gave your mother was in her mother's handwriting and not hers. What are you going to do about it today son?"

Tristan gave out the breath he was holding as he was keeping eye contact with his father "It is Vienna's decision. But if I see evidence her mother is pushing her to do anything she is not happy to do, I will speak to her."

Emanuelle chuckled "Stand up to her? I don't  think so. You will fight for her son. Drop the politeness. Francesco will not tolerate anyone interrupting his child's life and his wife is no exception. Francesco grants anything to his wife but his children's choices cant be taken away by anyone, not even by his wife. I say you forget the formalities. I give you permission. If Francesco thinks his wife can interfere in the life of your girl and you keep quiet then maybe I also need a talk with him. You must object now before Adele gains ground in making more decisions for her daughter..."

Tristan shook his head as he objected "I do not think of Vienna's mother like that. She is emotional and can be unreasonable but I do not think she will be a threat to her. I do not have evidence to suggest that. Have you?"

Emanuelle sighed "Oh, I have seen enough proof before you were born. If it was not for Adele's interference, last night would not have happened. Paulo Rosario is only alive because of Adele. Before Adele walked onto Francesco's path, Paulo was a dead man walking. Francesco wanted to kill him for what he had done. But then Adele turns up after ten years. I am not saying Francesco is influenced by others. He is not. But for his wife, he bends his own rules, only for his wife and no one else. He doesn't change his rules for her. He just bends them slightly. Now regarding the matter with Vienna, I am confronting him. Vienna will one day be part of our family unless you lose her respect and if you don't honour her of course.

Tristan narrowed his eyes "How can you say that? I will never lose her. I won't."

Emnauelle smiled "Then show me some fire. I am not saying there will be any but I need some fire from you or you will get burnt yourself son by your future mother in law." He then winked at him. He then patted his son on the shoulder and side stepped him.

Tristan did not like that his father made such comments but he didnt object as he watched his father leave.

Tristan walked to the table. He poured himself a glass of milk and as he was drinking he saw his sister entering the kitchen. She came inside and closed the door making him raise an eyebrow as he put his empty glass down "Is all well?" He then took a few steps to his sister. She didn't look like her usual self. At breakfast she was deep in thought and when she had left, Tristan knew something was wrong. He was going to find the right moment to question her but his sister was quite secretive. His mother had raised Clarisa to be independent but of course open too. If she had a problem she tried to resolve it. If she couldnt she always asked. Her parents trusted her to come to them when she needed to. So it was no surprise their mother hadn't pressed her on why she was quiet. She hadn't raised a victim. She had raised a girl who could think and judge by herself. She had raised a fighter who never backed down from a challenge and in facet went looking for challenges.