17. The Irish Unity

Niall O'Callaghan, one of distant cousins of Tristan was sitting and watching the news on TV at the lobby of the hotel where most of the Irish families were staying. His cousin was sitting across from him reading the newspapers.

It was after breakfast now. The heads of the Irish families were having meetings amongst themselves at that hotel about the agenda of the meeting that day. Not everyone was allowed to be present. It meant to put less responsibility on the young members of the family when they had excluded them from involvement. There was less strain on them. If any words from the meeting was to leave the meeting room and fell upon the Italian ears before it was meant to, then the penalty was severe. The Italians and Americans also had their own meetings before they were to be called upon by Sterling Johnson. Of course he had booked a church service in prior to the major meeting as an invitation to unity or peace, neither which were likely. How could there be peace without bloodshed or sacrifice? The Letizia Marciano's issue had been the unexpected bombshell of yesterday's meeting that had divided many. There was much to discuss by families besides the Letizia dilemma but there were plenty other issues too that had to be addressed."

Tristan noticed his cousin's silence and turned to him " You are always talkative Niall. What's the matter. The permanent move to America has made you quiet for the past few months. Do you miss Australia?"

Niall looked at his cousin " No. I am not homesick Tristan. But I miss the Australian ways. What is wrong with these people. Am I really meant to lead my grandfather's business in New York with these people as Italian allies? Can't they hear themselves? They really don't think anything will ever be the same if they make any of their outrageous suggestions practical. Lucianos should take the land offering. Money is the best option. It's mind blowing they expect Tiziana to just walk into Juliano's arms. What do you make of all this?"

Tristan shrugged " I think this is a time bomb. We will see it explode at the church. I don't know what Sterling Johnson is thinking trying to create peace. Some people don't want peace. They want war. We are Irish. It has nothing to do with us. We don't even have to take sides. If they try to drag us into their mess, I am sure it won't end well for them."

Niall replied " Your father will take sides... Won't he?"

Tristan said " Of course my father is on whichever side Francesco Rosario takes. We are allies."

Niall looked around and then when he didn't see anyone at ear shot he spoke in a low tone " Lets talk about Vincenzo. What do you make of his grandpa giving Vincenzo those looks. He didn't seem happy with your sister pairing up with him. Isn't your father going to warn him off?"

Tristan stated " He already has sent him a warning. Vincenzo and his grandpa know of the consequences if my sister is harmed. His grandpa will never accept my sister. How can he? He would never trust the Irish. But he has not enough power to be of concern. The Don is the one that is our concern. He rules over many loyal associates and allies of his all over Italy. Many Sicilian families in Sicily and in Italy take his word as law in terms of code of conduct. As you know Don Vitorio is a silent influential figure in the south of Italy. He is the traditional ruler and Arturo Agostini is northern Italy has the north with a modern approach."

There was just silence after that between the boys. As time went on they just kept looking at their watch and were getting fed up of waiting. Just then Cristina appeared in the hotel lobby. Niall stood up quickly and walked to her " Cris. What are you doing here?."

Cristina sighed " I think I want us to take a walk. A lot of decisions are going to be made in the meeting today. I am worried my uncle Cristofero will make some choices that would mean war... He will take the Scorpious's side because of the Constantinj alliance with the Voltolini family."