64. Curiosity

Vienna was waiting in the car for Tristan. He had been pulled off to take a call and he hadn't been back in a while. What had happened? She wasn't sure. After she was getting restless she got off the car and was surrounded by his body guards who were eying her cautiously.

The head body guard was a young man named Jericho. He seemed to a be a new recruit who had risen up quite fast in ranks. He was one of the only guards who dared to look at Vienna for longer than a second. His father had served the O'Neil's for years and so had his grandfather. His eyes were apologetic and polite when he spoke "ma'am. Please remain inside the vehicle."

Vienna said "Jericho. Where is Tristan?"

Jericho was quite taken back at being addressed by his first name. He was security agent O'Brian. Vienna was on first name terms with him which meant he could be as good as dead if his family were not historically tied with the O'Neil's. His great grand father was one of the first men who had sworn loyalty to Tristan's great grandfather. But no one was immune ultimately. He looked around nervously and then at Vienna "Ma'am. Please. Go inside. Please accept my sincere apologies to raise this. But I don't deserve to be addressed by my first name. I am an agent. Sworn to protect you and serve you..."

Vienna sighed and shrugged. If it made Jericho happy to dehumanise him, she had to comply. But she didn't like how they feared being called by name. But she could use her imagination on what Tristan's meetings with his men consisted of. It was always about discipline. It was about handing out discipline and expecting nothing but order by Tristan's law. She decided to get back inside the car but not because she wished to. It was because of the look of horror in Jericho's eyes as she had remained unmoving from her position. She had no idea what Jericho was worried about. He was Tristan's brightest agent and most skilful or so he said. He spoke multiple languages. He was able to run miles and miles without stopping. He could go nights without sleep. Not to mention his gun control and his mixed martial arts moves and how they were making him perfect or even over qualified. Tristan had picked the best for guarding his queen. But Jericho had no experience of handling Vienna's verbal demands. He could only be prepared for arranging her safety. He was just out of college and hardly twenty one years old. He knew his law and order but not his queen's expectations. That was by trial and error. He was in for a ride.

She watched him order around men as he went back to watching the surroundings. He seemed abit more relaxed once she was inside the car.

After a while, she saw Trent coming towards the car. He opened the door "I am very sorry for the delay. Duty calls. Tristan has to be parting ways. I can accompany you home... He will join you later..."

Vienna said "Can't I go with Tristan too?"

Trent said "It could be a long wait. He is already gone and is on his way to where he is meant to be... But ... He knew you might say this since you vowed to be spending the whole day with him as everything is unexpected with his work schedule. So he said, you can go to his rendezvous and wait for him to finish. I can accompany you. He will ride with you home..."

Vienna said "Alright. Let's go then."

Trent broke the news to the guards. Jericho didn't like it one bit. He tried to argue but word of Trent was law. She felt sorry for Jericho. His duty was to protect Vienna but he also took orders from Trent like any other O'Neil. Jericho didn't take orders from anyone but the O'Neil's and of course Vienna since she was Tristan's girl.

Trent got into the car and said "Jericho is driving me insane."

Vienna said "How?"

Trent said "He is taking too much precaution. Don't get me wrong. It's good he does do checks but he can be too careful. He asked from all the men I had brought for identification before he let them stand within 20 feet of your car. They are men I led here. It's my responsibility."