34. The Irish King (Part 4)

O'Neil was looking at Tristan trying to analyse his son's intentions. He had taught Tristan to not reveal his cards when he dealt with people. His son was hard to read but at that moment O'Neil could see Tristan's guard was slightly down but not completely. He could see that his son was looking at him expectantly for a response as he stared back at his son wordlessly and calmly. Tristan was his son. How could he be totally honest with him knowing he was going to put him opposite Jackson. The O'Kanes didn't play like he did. He didn't think his son was ready to take on his mentor. He had to guide his son so he didn't go after Jackson O'Kane but also got some answers that O'Neil was dying to give him. Tristan was right. O'Neil was his father. He was meant to have all the answers but for reasons only he could understand, O'Neil had no choice but to hold back.

Tristan resembled him in every way and was taught well by O'Neil. He didn't want to speak first and neither did O'Neil.

O'Neil smiled at his son "It's funny how you look up to your old man when your mentor is the one who should be the one you go to son. Uncle Jackson is here to help. Isn't he?"

Tristan spoke "Father. He is my mentor who happens to be related to me but that's where it ends. I have secrets that uncle Jackson does not know of and he has secrets surely he hasn't told me about."

O'Neil chuckled nodding "You can bet on it."

Tristan sighed "Father. I don't have time for making jokes. Uncle Jackson is who he is. He is trusted by me enough to not doubt his instructions because I know that for now I am useful to him and I am the only one who can lead his organisation because I am who his people respect. I have no idea why they don't respect you as much as they should but I will work on it."

O'Neil's expression turned serious "There is a very good reason they don't like me Son. Trust me. It's historical."

Tristan said "Father, we live in the present now ... but either way that is another matter ... Let's just get back to the present. All I am trying to imply is that I am willing to show my cards only to you. I only trust you with revealing my thoughts and feelings not expecting a consequence or backlash. I protect my secrets from the rest of the world and even uncle Jackson at times... Meanwhile, there is nothing but trust and love between a father and son. Nothing and no one could replace who a father is to their son. No one can replace your place for me Father. I dont take it for granted and certainly am not going to pretend I know everything just to prove I am independent and dominant. I have a lot to learn. Father. Why do I get the feeling you are surprised by my request for help? I need advice and not just anyone's advice. I need your advice because you know best. Why does it come across as a shock?"

O'Neil said "I think I am outnumbered by the number of people who are willing to give you advice son. Why come to your old man when you have a range of people in the house O'Kane who are facilitators at your service. There are also advisors only a phone call away on global scale all trusted and paid for by your uncle Jackson..."

Tristan objected "We have been through this Father. How can I make myself clear. I always need you father. Who else can I come to when I need advice? Everybody out there wants to make me a tool to achieve their goals. My men want wealth and promotions. My uncle wants power, my enemies want my death, my allies want my protection ... The demands of those around me never ends. Every one wants something from me. But I care for what you want from me father... These recent events have tested my boundaries. I know that you are who I like to turn to always. I need to know what you want me to do. I need your point of view on the turn of events that happened last night ... Father stop questioning my intentions. I am becoming impatient..."

O'Neil stopped himself from pushing his son on the matter of trusting him over his uncle. He wanted to see what Tristan really thought of O'Kane. He didn't reveal much but enough. So he nodded "Very well. I see your impatience. I answer you now ... but wait moment here... Lets forget my view for now. Tell me this... What does your woman want? What does Vienna want from you?"