25. American King

Vienna was watching Tristan standing and delivering his after dinner speech. He was standing up addressing the guests who were there to celebrate his appointment. He was addressing the room like a king.

Tristan was putting both hands on his hips as he was speaking. His voice was booming with authority as there was just silence in the room and it didn't seem like anyone was breathing at all. There were a few people squirming and looking around. It was not most comfortable for anyone to have Tristan keep his heavy stare at them. Maybe Vienna was one of the few who didn't feel threatened or intimidated by him. Tristan was setting out his laws. He was laying down the ground rules. This was his business to run. He was making eye contact with everyone in the room confidently as he knew what to say and how to say it. Years of speech writing classes and practicing public speaking had made sure he was mastering the art of persuasion and intimidation while giving his speech.

Vienna watched Tristan sit back down and his uncle Jackson to speak. It was then announced for another drinks reception after dinner in a different room. As guests stood up, Tristan turned to Vienna "Are you alright?"

Vienna said "Yes, I am fine."

Tristan said "You don't seem very happy."

Vienna looked away "I am fine Tristan. Its just you talked about ... war. You threatened people. I am bit worried."

Tristan said "Come on Vienna. I won't have a problem with anyone if they don't cause trouble. I don't war no war for any family. It is time for unity. Look at me Vienna."

As Vienna looked up she gave out a shaky breath. He was not pleased with her.

Tristan declared "Vienna. I don't wish for you to be worried about anything. I will take care of everything. Anyone who is standing by my side, I won't harm. But I will do what I have to do to protect my family." He then stood up "If it is alright with you, I would like to take you somewhere nice."

Vienna stood up "Where?"

Tristan said "Somewhere away from this building." He then took her hand in his and lead her away towards the exit of the room.

Vienna asked "Aren't we going to the drinks reception?"

Tristan said "There has been enough drink receptions already and I have passed on the message. I don't need to network any more for tonight. I need time with you Vienna as our last night is tonight before big changes happen in our lives..."

Vienna caught the urgent tone in his voice. It was making her heart sink to hear him speak like that. This was it. From that day onwards a lot could happen. She understood enough to know she couldn't be sure when she was going to see Tristan the next time. She remained silent and allowed him to lead her away. They exited the building and Tristan took her through the gardens and then entered a section with trees decorated with lights. There were plenty Christmas decorations already. She then gasped as she saw where they entered. It was an outdoor cinema. It was a beautiful gesture. Tristan knew how much she loved going to outdoor cinemas.

Tristan smiled " I asked my uncle to install an outdoor cinema here tonight... I just needed my last memory to be a peaceful one before I depart for Boston. It will be different to New York. I need to have a good time before my life changes."

Vienna felt so sad. She looked up at Tristan and the meaning in his words sank in. She couldn't help herself. She let go of his hand and for a second Tristan thought she was walking away but then she took a step closer to him and then embraced him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and sank her face in his shirt. She inhaled his scent.

Tristan was shocked. She was actually hugging him and holding him tightly. He hadn't even initiated this. He took a deep breath but didn't say anything. He didn't want to ruin the moment. The silence was all that there was but it was beautiful. He wrapped his arms around her too and kissed the side of her forehead. She was all that mattered in his life. She was like a beautiful rose but without the thorns. She was innocent. She had compassion and he just was madly in love with everything about her.