20. A Calling

Tristan was sitting behind his table watching Jackson O'Kane from far. He gazed at the man who was to be his mentor for years to come. He was not like his father. He was stricter. He was more brutal. His rules were different to the O'Neil household. He was no family man. His past love life was a failed one. No one talked about it but they knew about it.

People seemed to be busy drinking but Tristan knew their attention was mostly on Jackson talking with Arturo and his wife. The kiss Jackson planted on Anna Rosario's hand was unexpected. He could hear people whispering about it but he couldn't see the big deal. He knew a Rosario woman had to have plenty of suitors. He was in love with one himself. He knew how many people loved his girl. They just didn't dare say it in front of him.  But he had a good idea of who her secret admirers could be and kept an eye on them from a distance. He also knew why Jackson may have declared his love after all these years. Love never died. He knew that. He had his share of admirers. Many girls loved him and tried to come onto him. They were mostly from Irish families. Tristan sometimes was late in warning them off because Vincenzo beat him to it mostly.

Vincenzo was good at scaring off Tristan's admirers. If an Irish implied any interest in him, Vincenzo was first to take them aside and have a talk with them. It always worked and not wishing for having to deal with Vincenzo again, the girls normally found themselves boyfriends so Vincenzo didnt even suspect they were interested in Tristan any more. Vincenzo was not one to standby and watch women look at the man that belonged to his sister. He hit hard where it hurt if anyone ignored his warnings.

Vienna looked at Tristan nervously "My father is going to him now. I am worried."

Tristan whispered "Don't worry. It will be fine."

Tristan could feel the tension in the room as Francesco Rosario met up with Jackson in front of everyone. Vienna could feel it too. No one seemed to be even breathing in the room while Francesco Rosario spoke to Jackson. Everyone heard every single word. Francesco had a way with words. Francesco didn't sound like he was threatening him but the threat was evident in his voice. Francesco amde clear to Jackson his views about the value of family and how much protecting his family mattered to him. Without referring to the incident when Jackson had kissed Anna's hand, Francesco implied that he was not objective to the incident. Francesco went on for a while explaining what principles he believed in. But in the end declared loud and clear that he remained on good terms with the O'Kane family and their allies. His approval mattered. It just did. So he felt the tension leaving Vienna as her father stood up and left.

As Jackson O'Kane watched Francesco walk away he recalled the events of the past in his mind. Francesco was a speical individual. He had one thing in common. Francesco hated his old man and so did Jackson. Both had suffered at the hands of their controlling fathers. Francesco was now with a wife. Adele had waited for Francesco while Anna hadn't waited for him. It did hurt to see this woman with another man but he had learnt to sink his pain and raise his triumphs.

Jackson had nothing left to lose now. He had lost the one woman he ever loved and the only woman he was ever going to love. He was made to turn to the maverick of the family that tried to avoid him like the plague for help. He had two sons and it was his duty to make his sons available for taking up responsibilities for the house of O'Kane. His eyes the caught his cousin's who was wat the other side of the room drinking irish cream whiskey from the bar. He stared at him while glancing at his friend Francesco. He noticed that O'Neil gave Francesco concerned looks. He then downed his drink and walked to Jackson.

Jackson watched him come closer as he asked "Terrence. Have you told Sterling I need to see him next?"

O'Neil put his hands on the table as he stared at his cousin. It was now noisy again in the room. He whispered so only he heard his words "I will tell him... But first lets get it out there. Do you still blame Francesco for what happened? " O'Neil had a fall out with Jackson due to his stance on his old friend since Francesco was the one who had agreed to Anna's marriage. Anna wouldnt have married Arturo without Francesco's permission. O'Neil feared for Francesco's well being. O'Kane was a threat to be reckoned with and he was never going to stop being wary of him.