66. Andrei

Jericho was sitting in his cell waiting as he was holding his head in his hands. He was in a deserted section. They didn't keep the normal prisoners there... The cells were for private dealings.

He had gone against his boss to please his queen. He was confident to defend her if any danger rose. He just couldn't say no. He had to try harder. The door to the cell opened and he looked up. He was met with his boss's icy stare that he could never get used to. He stared into his soul with those eyes reprimanding him. He stood up quickly. He didn't speak knowing to wait to be addressed. His boss walked to him as he stared straight but avoiding eye contact like the soldier that he was ready to serve.

His boss stood right next to him staring  at him. Jericho tried to compose himself. His boss was young but he had earned the respect of his men with his ways. As much as Jericho feared for his life, he knew his boss regarded him highly to deal with him personally. Even if he was to die then it meant his boss was going to be personally execute him rather than his men do it. That was what he hoped for. He wished to die by his boss's hand if he was not worthy.

Tristan said coldly "Talk. I want every detail of what happened since you entered this place. I want to know who you saw, who you talked to and what you did."

Jericho respectfully dropped to his knees and with hands behind his back spoke as clearly as he could trying not to shake and waver which was hard. His boss had allowed him to speak. This meant he could be shot dead if he was found guilty.

Tristan listened intently. His biggest concern was whether O'Brian had been influencing Vienna in any way or encouraging her to come find him. He had to nip that in the bud. No one was allowed to influence her. No one.

It was becoming clear that Vienna was the one initiating the defiance when he had ordered clearly for Vienna not to enter the building. But Vienna had no idea what kind of business he was dealing with inside. Not even his own men understood the dangers. Only he did.

Tristan couldn't forgive O'Brian's mistake. O'Brien should have stopped her. He could. He had to be punished.

Once O'Brian was finished, Tristan said harshly "Tell me what you have done wrong..."

O'Brien said quickly "Disobeying orders by you and acting on the orders of ma'am."

Tristan silently reached into his pocket.

Jericho swallowed hard as he noticed his boss leaned down and placed a gun in front of him on the floor. His boss then stood up and said "What do you think your punishment should be?"

His heart sank. He was only twenty one. He was fighting tears. He was too young to die. But if he had failed his boss he welcomed the painless quick death his boss was mercifully handing to him. He slowly reached for the gun and grabbed it. He took it to his head and positioned it well to make sure it didn't miss his brain and didn't blow his face accidentally. His heart was beating faster and it felt like his heart was almost in his throat as his mouth went dry. He closed his eyes and pulled the trigger.

He opened his eyes shocked. He then pulled the trigger again and again. He looked up at his boss as he was breathing hard. His heart was beating even faster and he felt like choking with fear. What was the meaning of this?

Tristan was looking down at him. If he hadn't done that, Tristan was going to kill him. If he was loyal enough to kill him self without hesitation in his orders he was willing to reduce his death sentence " Next time you fail me, I will kill you slowly. Very slowly..."

O'Brian was looking up not believing he was spared. "Sir... I won't fail you again..."

Tristan said dismissively as he walked away " You will be dealt with over the next week by me personally. You will be through hell. Make no mistake. Leave the basement. Through the long passage way and wait for instructions ... You are a soldier. Always ready to serve... Don't forget your vows... Recite them as you leave..."