36. The Welcome

Tristan watched Vincenzo walk away. He had just told Vincenzo the news that his baby sister was almost killed. Now, Vincenzo was going to go out there to follow his own protocols.

When Tristan had found out about Vienna's accident, he had acted quick. He hadn't allowed anyone to delay him. He knew Vincenzo was going to waste no time either and he was certain Vincenzo was not going to take any advice or suggestions. His eyes said he had plans and they didnt seem to involve him for now by the looks of it.

Tristan badly wanted to know what was going on in Vincenzo's mind. But Vincenzo wasn't the type to share. If Tristan even stopped him from leaving to find out about all his plans, he knew he was just going to stare him down silently telling him, "go on then". "Make me talk". Vincenzo wasn't going to talk unless he wished it.

Despite knowing this was the worst timing to try to talk to Vincenzo, he decided to speak. Tristan whispered while he walked behind Vincenzo who was walking away "Vincenzo. Where you go, I follow you... You know how much your sister means to me." He held his breath awaiting the reply that could tell him at least what Vincenzo thought of him. His baby sister was almost killed on his watch. Was he going to put the blame on him without knowing the facts? He had some responsibility for sure. Tristan would have given anything to hear him talk that minute but he didnt hold his hopes up.

He watched Vincenzo stop to open the door and Tristan stopped walking afew steps away from Vincenzo. He saw his old friend put his hand on the door knob. Vincenzo didn't turn around. He heard Vincenzo speak with a low tone "You may follow. Don't try to stop me. That's all I ask."

Tristan took a deep breath. So he was in the clear. Vincenzo hadn't condemned him for this. Vincenzo  time and time again had stated that he believed Tristan was the man to protect Vienna. But he expected Vincenzo to ban him from seeing his sister immediately. He expected him to lash out. But it baffled him that he hadn't. Tristan wanted to know for sure. Could he get the beast to talk more? It was worth a try. He wanted to get a glimpse of his mind. So he asked urgently before he left the Irish ruled territory " Don't you hold me responsible in any way? I do. I should atone... I want to make myself atone for not being able to stop this... Only you can make me pay..."

Vincenzo didn't look at him again as he spoke with his back to him "Were you the one who tried to kill my sister?"

Tristan said "What? No... But I couldn't protect her... Don't you blame me for this at all?"

Vincenzo turned around and stared right at Tristan with his cold calculated but murderous eyes that looked impatient now too "Why do you ask me the questions you know the answer to Tristan? I have trust in you with my sister's life and my sister loves you. You are the only one who I believe can fully protect my sister. Don't doubt your place with me. Remember this .... Protecting her is my duty as much as it is yours. You should have told me what had happened over the phone. Now, don't delay me any longer with your questions. Whoever that is behind this, is bigger than my father's intelligence. My father is the one responsible for Vienna's safety since you are years away from marrying her and making her an O'Neil. Whoever has done this is above my father's security and your security all combined. Either that or there is an individual who has gone rogue from the inside... Maybe this is an inside job. That is my best guess. Vienna is untouchable based on all the protection and security. But someone out there nearly touched her and tried to kill her. They could strike again. I need to know if all the culprits are caught or some are free to strike once more... If you had told me over the phone about this I could be a step ahead. You withheld vital information from me. I won't forget this Tristan. I will give you a chance for redemption. But only you..." He then opened the door.

Tristan followed him out of the room and said "You were out of the country. You couldn't do anything... Your father wanted to finish his investigation first before he told you..,"