41. Power

Tristan was replaying Viggo's words in his mind as he was standing on the roof. He let him go even though he shouldn't have. He wanted the information he was withholding but he knew if Viggo wanted to disclose it he would have. There was only one way now for him. To figure it out for himself. But how?

He made his way down. He went to the floor where Vienna was meant to be. He watched her having tea with his mother and Adele Rosario through the glass windows of the room. There were other tables too but where his mother sat was secluded. His mother was a rebel. She had taken the guests to the massive balcony for tea in the cold. But of course there was fire. He shook his head. If Vienna caught a cold he wasn't going to let her come to see his mother for a while. His mother liked to have people at her mercy. Taking her out in the cold was making a statement that this was her house and her rules. Anything Adele Rosario did was conventional but what his mother did wasn't so. He glanced and saw the tray of cupcakes covered up with his name on it. Vienna had managed to bake while she was there. She had left message to him to eat them while they were warm. That was the survival skill and hope for life that boiled in her veins from her father's side. Even though she had almost died the day before she was a survivor. He walked to the cup cakes. He had every intention of eating every single blueberry and cherry cup cake she had made. He knew it was her work because her mother never  made cupcakes different  and his mother, Well, she didn't make cup cakes. He needed a space to think and where was better than where he was standing? His mind was elsewhere but the sight of Vienna and the taste of her craft was all he needed before he was going to plan to face the avalanche that was chasing him in life.

Sancia glanced and smiled faintly at her son across the glass and then glanced at Vienna "Darling, it seems like my son likes to check on you. He doesn't stop watching you."

Vienna turned to the direction that her auntie Sancia was nodding at and gasped "I didn't think he will come to the ladies room." She then stood up "Excuse me. I go check on him."

As she left, Sancia looked at Adele "I am glad your daughter goes and check on my son. It shows some kind of dedication. She is quite like you."

Adele did not like to be told how much her daughter returned Tristan's affections. She said "She is only in high school. She will go to college and work later on. Then she might meet someone like how I did..."

Sancia gave her a smile "How did that work out for you?"

Adele knew no one else would have dared bring up her love life. Sancia feared Francesco but she knew O'Neil was her insurance. So she said as she pleased. She crossed her arms over her chest "Well... It didn't work out because Francesco came back. If my husband was not going to come back for me when he did I would have married Michael. I loved Francesco but in ten years I didn't even have a phone call from him..."

Sancia said "So do you think it is a good idea to dream on that Vienna will meet someone when you know his kind come back even after a decade to claim their women? Tristan will show his dominance on anyone. Do you still doubt that? I am surprised at you Adele. You are a physician but you are a dreamer. You actually think your daughter will fall out of love with my son and my son will just step aside and allow another man to take his place. You are more intelligent than this to believe such impossible unlikely occurrence. Haven't you accepted them as a couple? I am quite sure you can pass on your doubts to him and he would be more than happy to prove he is the right man..."

Adele put her hand up which made Sancia's smile wider. It was as though she was surrendering. Adele said in a low tone "I do not need him to prove anything. That must be a misunderstanding."