21. An Uncle's Judgement

Tristan was not liking the direction of his conversation with his uncle Jackson. He didn't like his brother to be judged in the manner his uncle was judging him.

Tristan objected again " Uncle. You can't hold it against my brother that he dated Azurine when he thought Amethyst was no longer alive."

Jackson O'Kane replied firmly " I do hold it against him personally son. He should have mourned her. But he chose another within months of being informed she was no longer alive whcih turned out to be false information. Now that Amethyst is alive, I say he should atone for this before I let him get any closer to the girl he doesn't deserve."

Tristan sighed. He could not believe his uncle. He knew his uncle was just protective of Amethyst because she was Anna's daughter " Uncle. It was his way of mourning Amethyst. They told him she is dead. The Agistini family did not give any information to us that amethyst was still alive in a coma. Trent was moving on and he should have been. It didn't work out with Azurine. She was just there because she resembled Amethyst..."

Jackson dismissed his words " Enough Tristan. I told you my verdict. I expect him to atone for this."

Tristan argued " Atone for what? For trying to move on with Azurine that didn't even work out? Amethyst knows of what Trent did and she is not upset with him. If Amethyst wishes for him to atone then fine. Even her father, Arturo agistini approved of Trent and did not ask him to atone for anything even though Trent was honest about his past relationship with Azurine."

Jackson retorted " Son. I do not accept excuses. In my family, second chances don't exist. I only loved one woman in my life. A man who loves more than one woman in his life is not worthy to be called a man. Unfaithfulness is punished in my organisation unlike in your father's."

Tristan said " But uncle, Trent was not unfaithful. They told him Amethyst was dead. He chose Azurine and they have broken up now. I do not think a decision that he made when he was fourteen should be a basis for a sanction. I agree that unfaithfulness should not be tolerated. But I think you are being too harsh. Trent is honourable."

Jackson asked " Tell me. For argument's sake, if anything happened to Vienna and they told you she is dead will you move on the way your brother did?"

Tristan was taken back " Uncle. I don't think this is a fair question. I am not Trent. We are two different personalities..."

Jackson asked " Answer the question Tristan. Answer it truthfully."

Tristan hesitated and took a deep breath " I do not know. I would feel like I am cheating on her if I moved on but this is all in theory. Only when it is time to make decisions one can be tested. I can't imagine touching another woman but I am seventeen right now. Would I say the same when I was fourteen? I am not certain I would have said the same. How can I be certain?"

Jackson nodded and stood up from his chair and walked to Tristan " Well. Either way Tristan, your brother is guilty of cheating. He was fourteen when he committed the sin. His punishment can be reduced when you choose his sanction due to his age at the time. But he has to get a sanction. It is your first assignment to punish him for his crime against Amethyst Agostini. Are you willing to be commited to your role and all your responsibilities? Are you willing to punish your own brother? I have done this so many times. My siblings know my ethics and my beliefs. They know they can hide from anyone but not me. Do your siblings know that too? You will be the head of O'Kane family meaning you will be of an authority over the O'Neil family and your brother. When I selected you I knew you could make tough decisions. You need to demonstrate it to me that when it comes to family you dont go too soft. "

Tristan looked up at his uncle who was now standing towering over him. He sighed " Uncle. I would willingly discipline my siblings when they deserve it but I won't be unjust and unreasonable." He stood up and looked into his uncle's eyes "I can make him prove his worth to Amethyst but I can't hurt him for committing no crimes. You do question his honour. That is acceptable. That is a legitimate concern. His loyalty has not been tested but he hasn't even had the chance to prove his loyalty and honour for this girl he hardly even sees in his life. Amethyst lives in Milan. Trent lives in New York. I know my brother is honourable. He has never cheated on Amethyst...."