18. Complex Family Paths

What Tristan had witnessed at the church was beyond his imagination. Who would have thought that the Don would declare Vincenzo as his heir at that church? It was impossible in his mind. He didn't think the Don was going to leave his empire at Vincenzo's mercy. Surely the Don knew that Francesco Rosario's son was not one to compromise with the kind of men who worked for Don Vitorio. He was going to demand his own rules to be followed and his law was going to be the law. He could accept the responsibility but it didn't mean he was going to agree with it. What was the Don thinking? Then there was Paulo Rosario who was looking at his grandson with an unreadable expression across the dining hall where they were serving lunch. Was the man satisfied? Tristan could see Don's resemblance between Vincenzo and his grandpa. They were both secretive characters. With Paulo Rosario you did not see his cards at all until he struck you hard. It was the same with Vincenzo. He didn't show any emotion just like Paulo. On the inside he harboured secrets but didn't disclose anything.

Tristan looked at Vienna and put his hand on her shaking hand that was on her lap " It's alright Vienna. You don't need to be distressed. He knows what he is doing. Have some food. You have hardly had anything to eat."

They were sitting in a far corner on a table having food from the buffet lunch that had varieties to choose from. But Vienna wasn't interested. Her parents had gone to their room and were having lunch in private to discuss matters. Vienna had not been herself. She was in total shock just like her mother. It was peculiar how much Vienna had in common with her mother. She went into shock just like her mother after seeing her brother being crowned the Don.

Tristan tried again " Vienna. Look at me."

Vienna looked up with sad eyes.

Tristan looked deeply into her eyes " Look. You shouldn't worry about your brother. He is not weak... He does not need sympathy."

Vienna argued " Tristan... This is unheard of. I don't know much about this arrangement but I know it's not normal for anyone to take over as the head of a family at the age of seventeen."

Tristan replied " That's because your brother is not normal. He is not a typical teenager. Vienna you have lived with your brother all your life. You should know by now that your brother is different. He is a born leader... He had been prepared for this. Your father allows him to make his own decisions. I am sure of it. But please don't expect him to refuse this position. That's false hope Vienna. Your brother will not step aside when given a responsibility. He is not a quitter. He lives for a challenge and it's right in front of him. He has to take it or someone else will who may not be sympathetic to the principles that Vincenzo is loyal too. Then the lives of your extended family in Sicily will change and not in a good way. It is who he is. Your brother is a Don."

Vienna took in his words and replied " But there had to be another heir. Why my brother was chosen is baffling... I don't want him in danger."

Tristan stated " I would have been surprised if someone else was chosen. Your brother is the most suited leader in your family. He is ready. But what surprised me is how the Don trusts your brother not to overrule him. He now has to step aside. Nothing stops your brother from putting some people in your extended family on trial for the past. Your father has no ties with them right now. Who can guarantee Vincenzo won't clash with them and won't seek revenge for the past? So I think you have no reason to worry. Besides you must trust your father. He is the head of your family and will protect Vincenzo if he needs protecting from these people."

He made it sound so simple. He was able to take the most complex problems and make them sound so simple and straight forward. She took a deep breath " Tristan... I hope you never had to do what he has to... It's just too much to take in. I am so happy your family doesn't have any customs to put you on the spotlight."