29. Christmas Eve 1979 (Part 4)

Tristan was standing opposite Francesco Rosario who was seated behind his desk. Francesco was taking his time signing bonus checks for his employees for them to take away this Christmas Eve.

Tristan was silently waiting his turn. He had been asked to wait while he couldn't wait to get back to Vienna. But he needed to speak to Francesco Rosario.

Francesco glanced up "Take a seat. Why are you still standing."

Tristan took a few steps forward "I would rather stand sir."

Francesco said "Have a drink then son. It can take awhile to do this."

Tristan was now standing at the side of Francesco's desk "I don't wish for any drink sir. Vienna is waiting for me..."

Francesco argued "She is occupied and doesn't mind. Son, by looking at my checks it will not fasten the process."

Tristan said "I am looking at the pictures on your desk sir. Not at your checks... I thought you didn't display family photos in your office."

Francesco said "I do. Only on my desk I display them. The photos face me and no soul ever crosses the line of this desk and comes behind it unless they have Rosario blood..."

Tristan joked "Yet I am allowed to cross the line. I am no Rosario. Then maybe I am no soul..."

Francesco looked up at Tristan. He sighed "You are my godson Tristan. You were always part of my family. After you went after my daughter, I don't think I ever can look at you the same way but I still do count you as my godson." He then looked down at his checks and carried on signing.

Tristan said "I did not go after her. I fell in love with her and I waited actually. I still will wait as long as she wishes me to."

Francesco didn't reply to Tristan Ava carried on signing checks. It didn't matter. It didn't make much difference. He had gone after his daughter. That's who Tristan was to him. On one hand he was glad Tristan loved his daughter and no one else. Tristan was honourable and this was not unexpected. He knew this could happen. Maybe he had a feeling about it always. But it didn't change anything. Tristan was after his daughter and his duty was to protect the interests of his daughter. So he had to be on guard with Tristan even though he was his godson and part of the family. He wouldn't have minded him at their Christmas dinner table for sure. O'Neil's son was always welcome at his property as long as he didn't pose a threat to his daughter.

Tristan decided to sit down but not opposite Francesco. He pulled up a chair at the side of the desk where Francesco was. He wanted to keep his position where he was. He preferred to be by Francesco's side rather than opposite him when he addressed him. He sat down and noticed Francesco was on the last check. It seemed like he had worked faster after their exchange. He suspected Francesco had been taking his time earlier so his daughter had some breathing time.

Francesco looked at his watch and then put away the checks to the side. He turned to Tristan "What can I do for you Tristan? Why did you come talk to me? What was the initial reason?"

Tristan said "It's about your arrangements tonight sir. You need to stay behind after the church service with your family as a sign of accepting peace. There are plans for all to stay for all attendees to stay at the O'Kane owned within walking distance to have drinks and the night will be concluded with a speech by me."

Francesco asked "A speech by you?"

Tristan nodded "Yes."

Francesco shook his head "Is this after that snowball fight your cousin Reyton O'Reily put on the table. Or is it before?"