22. No Hiding From Fate

Emanuelle was watching the scene unfolding in front of him. His son was shaking hands with Jonas O'Kane. It was now official that Tristan was going to be the one to take over from Jackson since Jonas was not protesting. Jonas was first in line but his lack of interest in leadership meant the next in line after him was the one to be crowned as the Irish king of New York.

Emanuelle had mixed feelings. He had planned for his eldest son to have a proper youth like how he had. He didn't want his son to have to grow up too fast. But on the other hand he couldn't hold his son back. As a father he was obliged to let his son thrive and challenge himself. Leading the O'Kane family was the ultimate test for his son that he had spent years preparing his son for. That family had a stronghold like no other in New York and beyond. In Boston they ruled with an iron fist and their reign reached around the country in different states. After the attempt to weaken them, they had retaliated. They had lost many males in a bloody war but had gained ground, power, wealth and strength beyond reach by anyone.

Emanuelle looked around the room and then his stare zeroed at Francesco. His best friend was in no different position than he was. His son's life was not going to be the same again and he wasn't going to have proper youth just like Tristan. Time went by fast. Vincenzo was going to take over from the Don ruling Sicily and the sky was the limit to how much expansion he could do in southern Italy. The Don had already strengthened his power and Vincenzo was going to take the Rosarios even further up with his instinct and leadership. He was going to match the strength of Arturo Agostini and Ambrogio Voltolini whom were ruling most of northern Italy.

O'Neil then looked up at his wife and daughter who were sitting on the top floor leaning onto the railings. The structure of the oval shaped room was massive. There was enough room for women to come inside and watch their men from the top floor. Although not that many women had taken the choice. Jackson had made sure to make it clear he didn't mind women to witness his speech. Even Adele and Vienna had been convinced to come to watch too. Vienna was holding Clarissa's had watching Tristan intently.

O'Neil then glanced at Jackson who walked to the podium and instructed Tristan and Jonas to stand at either side of him. Jackson was going to make him watch this long display of dominance as he was an opportunist. O'Neil couldn't fault his cousin. Jackson had managed to find potential and had made sure to claim it for himself. His son was extraordinary. He was dominant. He was a born leader. He was perfection. Maybe it was partly his fault that his son was standing there with so much responsibility on him. If he hadn't trained him so well maybe Tristan could get to be a teenager for abit longer. But again according to many Tristan had it in his genes. He was special. There was no hiding from fate. Jackson always reminded him of that.

He recalled how Jackson made sure to remind him that one day he was going to collect his heir. They had clashed a lot over this. O'Neil had taken his kids on surprise vacations many times and had sent them on sudden internships to reduce contact between Jackson and his kids. He wanted to make a statement to O'Kane whenever he could that Tristan was his son. He reminded him that if he wanted to claim his son as his heir it didn't mean he could take over his life earlier than needed.

Once they were in his study drinking Irish whiskey standing next to the fire place. Jackson had stared into the fire " You know Terrence, you play with fire, then the fire will start playing with you. Don't try it."

Emanuelle had said " You know Jackson, I am not playing and neither is the fire. This is no game. This is a fight. I fight the fire and get burnt if I have to. There is nothing I won't do for my son. I told you to wait. I need my son to grow up on my terms. His uncle Jackson should just be his uncle when it's Christmas and when he has his birthday. His uncle Jackson should drop by for dinner just to have dinner. I don't want Tristan to know too much about what you want with him for now. I need to raise him my way. I need him to learn my way and not by your people's ways. Yet you persist on influencing him. Your persistence gets my resistance like always.  Why try it?"