31. The Irish King (Part 1)

Weeks Later

Tristan was sitting in a bar leaning to the counter as he was drinking lemonade.

Jonas was watching his cousin carefully as he was standing at the door awaiting instructions. It was night time. The Irish bar was closed. Him and Tristan were the only ones around. Jonas gave out a shaky breath not liking the silence. He always found silence deadly. When his uncle was silent it meant there was nothing more left to say as in there could be a death order coming up or something drastic. He had no idea what his cousin wanted to do next that night. It had been quite an eventful long day. There were some tensions on the streets with Italians. But it was nothing that could lead to war. Ever since the betrayal of Angelo and Vincenzo taking him and his family to Sicily to take refuge it had been tough to keep the peace. Tristan had changed. He was not who he used to be. He was harsher if that was even possible and less forgiving. So even Jonas who was his cousin kept his distance and didn't speak unless Tristan spoke to him. The air of authority around him was like his uncle O'Kane only more unpredictable and mysterious.

Jonas jumped in his spot as he heard his name being called.

Tristan gave his cousin a glance and stood up "Jonas. Are you day dreaming or just sleeping with your eyes open?"

Jonas gulped "I am sorry."

Tristan shook his head "Don't apologise. Answer the question Jonas. Do you want a drink?" He then drank the rest of his lemonade in one go and put the empty glass on the counter "Do you?"

Jonas shook his head vigorously "No." His throat was dry but he didn't want a drink. He looked at Tristan as his boss. Jonas was special we his cousin and advisor but not totally immune. Tristan was still his superior. This was a business night so he didn't dare relax just in case he made a mistake.

Tristan sighed "Too bad. You are having one. I have some time to kill." He then walked behind the counter and poured some lemonade in a glass and said "Come here."

Jonas slowly walked to his cousin. In his mind he searched if he had done anything wrong recently that he hadn't realised. He only had an argument with Anastasia over the phone the other day after their date in an Irish restaurant his uncle owned but all else was calm. Some of the Irish customs weren't to her liking. She found the music not so calming. Well that was tough for her. That was the price she had to pay to date an Irish. In a way Jonas didn't mind to see her annoyed. She was not her type of girl but she did have a lot in common with her to a level that it hurt to think about it. Jonas didn't mind her company and didn't mind calling her his girlfriend. But he didn't think it was going to last. How could it? She wasn't so welcoming to any Irish except Jonas.

Tristan pushed the glass of lemonade to his direction "What's the matter Jonas? Do you have something to tell me? Are there any sins you haven't confessed to me?"

Jonas froze as he reached for the glass. His cousin was staring at him with a serious expression meaning he had to answer. Jonas answered honestly "I really don't know. I am thinking back to the last few days but can't think of anything I have done wrong."

Tristan nodded and he poured himself a glass of lemonade "Good. Keep it that way. I don't want to lose you Jonas. I trust you ... for now..."

Jonas sighed "I will never betray you."

Tristan said "Of course. You say that. So did Trent. Look what he did. He helped Vincenzo rescue his uncle and his family out of Irish territories..."

Jonas wouldn't have defended anyone else but he felt the need to defend Trent "He did it for good intentions. He was worried you were going to hurt that family and ruin your father's relationship with the Rosarios. He didn't mean to betray you. After Vincenzo approached him he didn't tell you but after the deed was done he did come to you all alone. He gave himself up and you did forgive him. He is not a traitor. You can trust him. Irish blood never betrays Irish blood."