35. The Irish King (Part 5)

Jackson was watching his nephew silently entering the mansion. Jackson took a sip from his drink as he narrowed his eyes looking through the windows at his heir coming back from a long meeting with Terence O'Neil, the traitor he couldn't harm because he was simply family and also because his sister cared for. He watched his heir's facial expression and body language trying to interpret his intentions. He wanted Tristan to be mentored in his image. He wanted him to ignore his father's advice. Without a doubt Tristan was a more loyal heir to his Irish American family compared to Terrence who was nothing but a traitor. Tristan was fair while his father wasn't.

Tristan entered his uncle's office and found him drinking as he was leaning to the fire place that was burning red just like how his uncle was mostly burning from rage on the inside even though he didn't show it that much. His uncle didn't look pleased. He never looked pleased after whenever Tristan contacted his father or when his father was in touch with his uncle. Now that Tristan knew his father had rejected Jackson's adopted sister Joanna he found it easier to grasp why his uncle didn't get along with his father.

Tristan said "Good evening uncle." He then walked to the desk where his mail and telegrams were normally placed. He checked the desk and picked up an envelope.

Jackson looked at his heir as he shook the glass of Irish cream whiskey filled with ice soundly. "Do you have any updates on what happened tonight?"

Tristan opened the envelope in his hand and started reading. He then paused and looked up "Nothing you haven't heard already uncle."

Jackson asked "What do you know about what I have heard?"

Tristan put down the letter and walked to his uncle. He sat down next to the fire place on a sofa facing his uncle. He started undoing his tie "Uncle. We did the investigation. There is no more information than what was shared with you in prior..."

Jackson's expression hardened as he finished the sentence "In prior your meeting with your father... I know. Tristan answer the question. How do you know what I know? Did your father have any news?"

Tristan loosened his tie slowly and looked up at his uncle " My father's sources are no better than yours uncle. What makes you think he has any news? My father had no news. He only had advice for me which I cherish. Most of what he disclosed to me was not to do with any new information." He put his hands behind his head looking at his uncle with questioning eyes "Uncle. My father told me about the past."

Jackson took a step towards Tristan and stood next to the sofa as he put his hand on his shoulder. He then ran his hand in Tristan's hair "What did he say about me Tristan? Anything you wish to know I will tell you."

Tristan sighed and looked at his uncle who changed his stance and sat on the arm of the sofa. He looked into Tristan's eyes as he was drinking his whiskey while stroking his hair. It was almost fatherly but business like too.

Tristan said " Uncle. He did not disclose much about you. That's why I take you on your offer and ask you about your past. You don't have to answer but it's important for me to know this." He then rested his hands on his stomach as he leaned back looking up at his uncle watching his actions.

Jackson nodded "Go on Tristan."

Tristan hesitated but then spoke "I need to know this. This will help me to know this. What did you do to lose Anna Rosario." Tristan knew this was not going to go down well. He wasn't disappointed as he saw the dangerous glare in his uncle's eyes. His uncle was a mysterious being. He was calm and gentle when you looked at him first. But he was capable of so much he couldn't even imagine. He was wary of his uncle Jackson. He had not taken over from his father just because he was his son. He was respected and had earned his place by the way he carried himself. He was a man of action rather than words. So Tristan never knew how much he pushed it with him because only his actions showed his displeasure. When he got angry he did erupt in action making life difficult for Tristan making sure he knew his mentor was displeased but didn't normally show displeasure with words. Not often. Tristan waited.