12. Icy Harlem

Sterling Johnson was standing in all his glory at the front of his mansion in the snow with nothing but a tank top and trousers. He was immune to the ice and cold. He was used to the frost. He even showered with cold water in the middle of the winter when he needed to. He had been through so much hardship in life and so much hurt that he couldnt feel pain any more. He just felt pleasure now. When he was objected to by his sons about wearing a coat he smiled at them "Frost is a blessing from the lord himself. The lord won't hurt me but men will." He then had turned to his men to instruct them to keep the security as tight as possible.

Streling walked outside barefoot on the snow as he saw the first guests arriving. That was his man O'Neil. He always got there first. That was his style. He was mostly racing with Francesco to his home and had won. O'Neil's spirit was like how they were younger. He was competitive, alive, full of life and wanted to be the best. O'Neil was in his own world, a good friend, a man he could trust with his life, man who understood the American dream and lived it to the full. He had alot in common with O'Neil. Emanuelle had tasted death before and so had Sterling. Both men knew what it was like to see death so close. Both had nearly died before. Emanuelle had been once ambushed on his plane which he escaped from with his parachute and Sterling had been shot by cops many times. One time he nearly even saw a white light only for it to be replaced by Francesco's and O'Neils faces. He owed his life to Francesco and Emanuelle who once had saved him from the cops who were taking him to a morgue instead of a hospital. That was how it was back then. If you were black you didnt get medical treatment by some cops. They prefered it if you died from gun shots. But lucky for him that one time, Francesco and Emanuelle had blocked the path of the police and had demanded him to be handed over to be taken to the doctors.

Streling thought back to the past. He was very young when he had met O'Neil and his favourite Rosario. Maybe eleven or twelve. They were regulars at a boxing club weher teens boxed too. On the boxing ring was where Sterling felt true equal rules. No one could cheat. There was no where to hide. You either did beat your opponent or you didn't. That was where he had seen Costanzo and Francesco boxing away their time away. O'Neil sneaked into that club too without his parent's knowledge when he stayed over at Francesco's house. The boys had bonded through boxing and had formed a friendship for life and business partnerships too. Now the men were all established in business. But they were never finished. It was crucial times for them.

O'Neil got off the car as he walked outside as he helped his wife step outside. That was O'Neil's style always giving a helping hadn to his wife when he didnt even need to. That woman needed no man to rely on. But she went with what O'Neil did. He had no idea how O'Neil even kept her by his side. It must have been pure love or if any other man came close, she would have shot them. O'Neil embraced Sterling "My man. How are you holding up?"

Sterling pattend O'Neil on the back "My man. I am holding up just fine, unless you brought cops with you. Have you brought trouble with you man?"

O'Neil chuckled and pulled away as he shook his head "No cops. I have only brought my wife and kids plus some security forces in case a fight breaks out." He then looked at sancia " My wife Sancia is very happy to be here. Aren't you darling?"

Sancia nodded and took the offered hand from Sterling. She shook his hand  " Of course. I am delighted...  to see Virginia." She then looked past Sterling at his wife approaching as she let go of Sterling's hand. She then walked to Sterling's wife who opened her arms to embrace her. They then disappeared inside the house as they had a special bond completely ignoring the men.

Sterling looked at O'Neil " Well. At least  I got a handshake from your wife. That's an improvement." He looked at Clarisa " My favourite O'Neil in the whole world. You have grown so much kid."