68. Greatness

Tristan was sitting opposite Vienna on a sofa in front of the fire place in the library of Vienna's house. He was drinking soda and was playing chess with Vienna.

Tristan liked to take his time making his moves. He drank and thought deeply. It was a good excuse to spend time with her alone before they had to go back to the dinner party that was going on. It was a lunch party but guests stayed longer because Emanuel O'Neil insisted. If anyone entered they could say they were in the middle of a game of chess.

Vienna waited for him to make a move in her own way... She had a clip board in her hand and was drawing Tristan. He only got more and more handsome as days went by but his eyes became more hardened and more serious. She could see the weight of responsibility on his young shoulders.

Tristan put down his soda bottle on the side table and rubbed his hands together. He reached for his queen and moved it.

Vienna sighed "Did you just kill off my only remaining knight? That piece is my favourite."

He smiled "Well. I killed your favourite game piece with my own favourite... My queen slays."

He gave him a hard look as she put her clipboard face down. She said " You are not funny." She then reached over to her bishop. She moved it but then regretted it. She moved it back.

Tristan said "Tsk. Tsk Vienna. No retreats allowed after you make a move."

She said innocently "Retreat. What retreat? I didn't move at all. You must have imagined it..."

Tristan said " Are you trying to deceive me? Grave mistake... I give you a chance... Put that game piece back to where it was ... and I will forget you tried to cheat and deceive me."

She said "I don't know what you are talking about?"

He said "Cheaters get punished by me Vienna..."

Vienna said "So do losers..." She then moved her Bishop.

He said "That wasn't so hard was it?" He then moved his queen."

Vienna leaned back and crossed her arms over her chest "Your queen slayed mine.. I can not  win with with no queen... I just have a king and a couple of pawns left..."

He said "It's not real life Vienna. You have a king in real life..."

Vienna bent over thinking about her next move and then she said "I can nothing ... Pawns can hardly move and kings in chess are useless..."

He said "But kings in real life are not useless... At least your king isn't." He winked.

She moved one of her pawns forward.

Tristan moved his queen and said "Check mate... The last king rules..."

She said "What is the price for losing? You will make me write lines?"

He said "You will drink from my soda bottle. I like sharing with you..."

She enthusiastically "It beats writing lines..."

She reached her hand over to his bottle. It was quite full. He drank slowly. Or maybe he pretended to drink and hardly took sips so he could watch her drink. He always liked to watch her drink. She had no idea why.

She slowly started drinking and then a drop fell down on her neck. She knew that drove Tristan crazy. It always did.

When she put down her soda bottle he was looking at her intensely. He took a deep breath and put the chess pieces back they were meant to be.

Vienna was always getting to go first. Ladies first was always his motto. She made a move.

Tristan leaned back and thought hard staring at the board.