Part 2 - Chapter 16 - It's Hard To Say Goodbye

Third Person's POV

"Where are you off to?" Miss J asked, interrupting Luke's silent thoughts. Luke smiled and turned around facing her.

"I'm going to the hike range thing." He answered and she showed a puzzled expression on her face, towards him.

"I don't understand what you are saying, sweetie." She said in a motherly and calm tone, that displayed nothing but concern and sympathy.

"Remember the little hike Sammy took me and the kids to, a few days ago?" Luke questioned.

"Oh! Yes. Yes I do remember that." She said with a small, tender hearted chuckle.

"I'm going there maybe... like an hour or so." He said and she looked at him. Staring at him straight in the eyes.

"Who are you going there with?" She asked, with her eyes that lay on his. She was reading him and she had a great reason to read his emotions.

"I'm going alone." Answered Luke, his eyes trying it's best to keep directly back on Miss J's eyes.

"Alone, you say?" She asked.

"Uh, yes, Ma'am." He said, biting down on his bottom lip softly. "I um... I- I wanted some f-fresh air. Just some time for myself. You know?" He stuttered and looked away from her, unable to handle the tense feeling she gave off by just staring at him.

"So you're going there to get some fresh air? Some time to yourself, you say?" She questioned.

"Yes, Ma'am. T-Time to myself." Luke said, trying his best to hold back the tears that were begging to escape his eyes for some reason. The pressure she was putting on him made him feel weird and he knew exactly what she was trying to do and he knew she was only doing it to make sure he doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.

"You are wanting time to yourself, and fresh air." She repeated his statement, the resumed to speaking. "I believe believe you can get both those things on the farm. There's so much land here that you can just take the little cart and drive away to the end of the farm or something and have time for yourself to think. As for the fresh air thin-" She was saying but was cut off by him ready to complain.

"Yes bu-" He started off but she immediately cut him off.

"Do not cut me off while I am speaking." She said sternly. "Do you understand?"

"Yes, Ma'am." Luke said and lowed his head in shame.

"Anyway, as I was saying..." She said, clearing her throat before speaking up again. "As for the fresh air statement, again... We are at a farm. A berry farm. There's enough fresh air. There's more than enough fresh air out here. Now I'm going to ask you a question and I want the most truthful, honest answer from you. Do I make myself clear, Luke?" Miss J asked and gets ready to put out a question she's been wanting to ask for a long, long while.

"Y-yes. I understand. You made yourself very clear, Ma'am." Luke answered and looked up at her. He had an uneasy feeling and he wanted to know get the moment done with so he can proceed to what he was doing.

"How are you? How are you feeling right now? At this very moment."

"W- Wh- What do you mean? I-" Luke stuttered and looked down.

"You know exactly what I mean, Luke. It two simple questions, that can be answered with simple sentences. So I am going to ask you those two questions again and it would be lovely if I get the answer I am wanting. Okay?" She asked and Luke nodded. "How are you. How are you feeling? I need to know." She repeated her questions and await Luke's response. "Honest and truthful answers please."