Ch. 8 Tension

My mother turned storming out of my room. I sighed as Ari looked at me in disbelief.

"Did she hate dad?" Ariana asked as I shrugged.

"I wish I knew but I don't so," I trailed off getting to my feet. "Can I borrow your phone?"

"You texting your boy?" Ari smirked as I nodded. She tossed me her phone which I caught with ease.

Me: hey this is Becca. My mom took my phone so I'm texting you from my sister's.

Ben: why did she take your phone?

Me: she figured out that I snuck out last night. I didn't tell her I was with you for obvious reasons.

Ben: are you grounded or can we meet up tomorrow?

Me: I will ask but I'm pretty sure I can't. You might be able to drive me home if you want. It takes like a half hour to get home so we could talk.

Ben: I like that idea. I'll pick you up after school and possibly go on a date if your madre approves.

Me: can't wait.

"Thanks for letting me borrow it," I said handing Ariana her phone back.

"Anytime," she smirked as I got off my bed.

"You hungry?" I asked deciding I needed to eat something.

"I'm good," she said as I walked out of the room. I headed straight into the kitchen grabbing a fish TV dinner. I popped the tray in the microwave waiting for the timer to hit zero. I pulled the food out grabbing a can of pop. I walked back up to my room putting the plate on the nightstand. I sat down eating the food. Once I finished I walked out of the room and down to the kitchen to throw the garbage away.

"Becca," Sapphire called. "Come with me." I followed her out the backyard only to find workout equipment. She tossed me a pair of fingerless boxing gloves. I pulled them on as she pulled on her own. "You need to train with me."

"Really? Are you sure?" I asked as she smiled.

"Yes I am," Sapphire said as she took a swing. I winced as her hand connected with my cheek. I staggered back before throwing my right fist toward her stomach. She grabbed my hand flipping me onto the ground. I groaned before using my foot to trip her. She crashed onto the grass as I scrambled to my feet. "Nice counter."

"Thanks," I said keeping my guard up. Sapphire swung at my face again and I blocked her swing with my forearm. I watched for the next blow but instead Sapphire leaned against the house breathing heavily. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm kind of out of shape. I haven't fought anyone in a long time," Sapphire said as I stood before her.

"Maybe this wasn't a good idea," I said as she walked toward me.

"You are a lot stronger than you think Becca," Sapphire smiled as I nodded. She led me back into the house and into the basement. I froze to see a bunch of weighs. "If you feel a need to train I thought you should be able to."

"That's perfect," I smiled climbing onto the bench press. "Can you spot for me?"

"Sure," she smiled loading on the weights. She put 60 pounds on to see how hard that was for me. I brought the bar down to my chest and back up without issue. I raised and lowered the bar ten times before Sapphire added another 40 pounds. I struggled to lift the weight but managed to. I lifted the metal bar another twenty times before putting the bar back. I got off the bench press before walking to another machine. I sat down pushing my leg against the padded bar. I lifted my leg with 60 pounds of resistance but struggled. My body dripped with sweat as I continued to workout. Once my muscles grew tired I got up to get a drink. I ran up the stairs and into the kitchen. I grabbed a water bottle drinking it on the way back down stairs. I hopped onto the treadmill setting it to max speed. I sprinted as hard as I could as my feet pressing against the machine. I breathed heavily but continued to run as Sapphire watched me workout.

"This is super awesome," I told her while I continued to run. My calfs burned with each step I took.

"You found your calling Rebecca," Sapphire grinned as I turned the machine off. I breathed heavily sitting next to her.

"I think you are right," I smiled as I finished the water bottle. I got to my feet as the exhaustion filled my body. "Thanks for the workout but I'm gonna call it a night."

"Sweet dreams Becca," Sapphire said as I walked slowly to my room. I headed straight for the bathroom wanting to clean up. I climbed into the warm tub with a smile. The heat released the tension in my muscles from the workout. After thirty minutes I got out pulling on pink baggie pajama bottoms and a blank tank top. I flopped on my bed turning out my light though Ari left her bedside light on. I relaxed into the soft mattress with a small smirk playing at my lips.

"Night Becca," my sister said as I rolled to face her.

"Goodnight Ariana," I said as sleep consumed me.

"What do we do about the twins?" A man asked as I stepped into the room.

"I don't know, what do we do?" I snapped as he rushed toward me. A cold metal plunged into my stomach as I gasped in shock. He stabbed me so fast I couldn't react. Pain flooded my abdomen.

"One down one to..." he was cut off by a bullet entering his forehead. I fell backwards into Henry's arms as he put pressure on my wound.

"Hold on Becca," Henry pleaded as the darkness pulled me under.

I jolted awake holding my throat as I gasped for air. Was that a dream or a memory?