Ch. 28 The Beginning

I waited until the sun had set before Jackson decided to step out of his hiding place in the surrounding trees. The darkness didn't matter much as I could still see most of the area because the moon was almost full. Jackson continued his walk towards me as I looked over at him with my violet eyes ready for anything. I never knew which Jackson I was going to get, one who wanted to hurt me slowly or the one who wanted to obliterate me in seconds.

"You kept me waiting," I told him my voice cold as I spoke to him.

"Yes but you have kept me waiting for longer periods before Rebecca," he said simply walking towards me slowly. I masked any emotion I could possibly feel when I spoke to Jackson knowing that was the only way I could hope to beat Jackson. I knew Jackson preyed on any sign of weakness and so I put up a blank front giving him nothing to take advantage of.

"I saw what you did to Ben," I said hiding the sadness threatening to slip through my facade as I told Jackson. "It was unnecessary." I said sharply as he continued to look at me.

"But was it? With him around I had to share and to top that off he let you escape," Jackson said as I stared into Jackson's harsh green gaze. The gaze created by my blood running through his veins that gave him a strength no one should have.

"Let me escape?" I laughed at Jackson as he stared blankly at me. "I injured him if you failed to notice." I could see Jackson trying to figure out why I was acting the way I was but I was better at hiding things than Jackson was used to.

"Easily faked dear Becca," he said as I glared at him.

"Oh how I wish his injury had been fake. His betrayal wouldn't have hurt if it was fake. If he truly wanted to let me go he wouldn't have stayed behind but came with me instead," I said with irritation leaking through my mask.

"Oh well he's dead now so it isn't an issue anymore," Jackson said with a smirk. I didn't react to his comment knowing he only said it to make me snap.

"You want this to be over?" I asked him calmly as he laughed.

"I quite like our banter. It's fun this chase we have going," Jackson said viciously taking another step closer to me with a smile. I could see how much enjoyment he got from our every encounter especially when it came to hunting me down.

"But wouldn't you rather have me?" I questioned as he narrowed his eyes at me trying to analyze what I was getting at. I kept my breathing steady giving off fake confidence while interacting with Jackson.

"You would give yourself to me willingly?" He asked as I shook my head. "Then what do you mean?"

"If you beat me in a fight I won't fight you anymore but if I win you leave me and the people I care about alone," I said moving towards him stepping over the rubble cautiously.

"Why would I agree to that?" He asked as a smirk pulled at my lips. I knew how to get him to agree wand that involved insulting him.

"Because if you don't, you prove how much of a coward you are," I said baiting him into the deal. I knew Jackson liked to be seen as strong and calling him a coward would bring his anger out. Jackson was an idiot when he responded to insults. I smiled as the rage filled his eyes at my comment.

"Fine but if I win not only do I get you but I get to kill Henry," he said as my heart pounded against my chest. Could I risk Henry's life? The fear I felt for Henry filled every inch of my body while I tried to find something to say that would make Jackson think leaving Henry alive would be beneficial for Jackson.

"Wouldn't you rather he live knowing you have what he wants?" I asked trying to avoid betting Henry's life. I was willing to risk myself but I didn't think I could put Henry on the line. I could never put him in Jackson's path knowing Jackson wouldn't just kill him but slowly and painfully torture Henry until Henry begged for death. Images of the pain Jackson inflicted on me flashed through my head as panic swirled inside me. I was quick to mask my fear while I waited for Jackson to respond.

"That is true. Having Henry watch us be together would be the best victory," Jackson said after a moment of contemplation. Relief filled me as the panic subsided. I kept my emotions hidden from Jackson knowing that might make him change his mind about letting Henry live.

"Do we have an agreement Jackson?" I asked him holding my hand out. He quickly took my hand shaking it. I pulled my hand away quickly as he stared at me.

"Glad to see you know how to play the game. It will make life much more enjoyable if you know how to play Becca," Jackson said as I braced myself for Jackson to attack and yet he just stared at me without moving.

"I always knew how to play you just failed to recognize my abilities before," I said stepping back away from Jackson ready to shift at the first sign of movement from Jackson. His green eyes looked over me as if calculating the quickest way to destroy me. I shifted from one foot to the other as Jackson's eyes traveled down my body.

"I can't wait for you to be mine once more Becca," Jackson said with a sadistic grin on his face. "It's a shame you will be broken in a few minutes. I rather enjoy the fire of defiance in your eyes when we talk but alas there isn't another option." My muscles tensed ready for Jackson to jump at me.