Ch. 14 Explain

"Wait you are telling me you stayed in danger for a guy you just started dating?" My mother asked with irritation filling her voice.

"Mom I have loved him my entire life so yes I stayed for him," I said firmly as she sat next to me. "Why I stayed is irrelevant. Those people are coming and they will come with everything they have. They want us dead and to lead this pack. What are we going to do to stop them?"

"You aren't doing anything but staying here where nothing will happen to you," my mother ordered.

"That's worked great so far," I said sarcastically. "Even when I didn't know about my powers they almost plowed me down with a car."

"She's right," Henry jumped in as my mother sighed.

"Oh god," I gasped. "I shot one a few blocks away from here. He couldn't walk and might still be there." My mother pulled out her phone sending five guys to locate him. Wouldn't be difficult since the smell of blood was overwhelming to Lycans. "I don't think they are Lycans."

"Why?" My mother asked as I looked at Henry.

"She called me a wolf and no Lycan would ever touch that term," I said as Henry took my right hand in his.

"But who would want to control the pack or even know of our existence?" Henry asked as I shrugged.

"Wish I knew but I don't," I said as my mom's phone rang.

"They got the guy and put him in a holding cell," my mother said as the three of us walked out of the house and to the holding cells. I stayed hidden in the shadows to better observe how to break the man. "I'm Gwen and you attacked my daughter. Why?"

"Cause she's a dog standing in between me and you!" He laughed as I stiffened. He wanted my mom.

"Here I am. Why do you want me?" She asked as Henry gripped my hand tightly keeping me calm.

"We want to be like you. We want to be strong and powerful," he said as I listened. Yes they wanted power but you can't become Lycan, being Lycan is genetic unless they are using our blood to try and replicate it.

"Who is we?" She questioned and I was shocked he answered the questions without an argument.

"We are the many," he said to my mom. "You can't stop the inevitable and we will have what we want." I strode forward slamming my hands on the table.

"Wanna bet. I'm stronger than all other Lycans and I'm betting you don't realize the full extent of my strength," I taunted as he lunged toward me. I had him on the ground in seconds. "Just imagine what you could do with my blood." I mocked him as my mother watched with fascination. "While they might become Lycan you never will. You are weak."

"I am done talking," he said before blood flowed from every inch of his body. He twitched on the floor before going still. His vacant eyes stared at nothing as I faced my mother.

"He took something to cause this. What the hell are we dealing with? They are willing to die to prevent giving us names," I muttered as my mother pulled me from the room.

"Why do they want Gwen when Becca and Ari are more powerful?" Henry asked but no one answered. We needed to look at my mother's blood if we were to see why she's so different to them.

"We need to analyze your blood mom. Your blood could explain why you are so important to them," I said as we stepped out into the warm afternoon weather.

"I have a friend who could analyze the blood," Henry said as my mother nodded. "He is a Lycan so our secret would be kept."

"Call him and set up an appointment. Tell him to rush the sample. The sooner we know why they want me the better," my mother said as we continued toward the house.

"Mom they are after you not Ari and me," I said softly. "You need a lot more protection including myself. I'm the best fighter here."

"I don't want you hurt because of me!" She said as I looked right into her gaze.

"I don't matter in the larger scheme," I said firmly. "The pack is most important and to protect them I must be willing to die than hand you over."

"I hate when you are right," my mother snapped as we stepped into the house. I sat on the couch as Sapphire entered the room. Her eyes locked on my arm with shock.

"I'm fine," I said quickly as Sapphire sat next to me. "They aren't even after me. They want my mom and they are human. They want to become Lycan."

"Seriously? How do they even know about our existence?" Sapphire said as I sighed.

"I had the same question," I said flatly as Van came down stairs. He saw my wound healing it instantly. "Thanks."

"Sapph, I think I should stay. I might be helpful," Van said as she nodded.

"What's going on?" Ariana asked giving me a look. "There are like a million guards outside not to mention the ones inside."

"I got shot by the people hunting us. We also learned mom is their target," I said as Ariana gasped.

"Why do they want mom?" Ariana asked me.

"They think she is the key to becoming a Lycan," I muttered as Ariana groaned.

"Can't we have one normal day?" She whined. "First you and mom fight, then you and Ben, and now we are being hunted by people who shouldn't even know about us!"

"Ariana, we are Lycans since when were normal days in the cards for us?" I said as she winced.

"I see your point," she said as I got up.

"I think we should stick close to mom until we stop the people hunting her," I muttered as Ariana agreed. I only hoped this didn't get worse.