Ch. 17 Lost in the Memories pt. 1

The longer I sat in the study the more I thought about my mother.

My mother struggled to curl my six year old hair. I sat on the chair in a fluffy dark pink shiny dress as my mother finished the last chunk of my hair.

"Sweetie, are you ready to go to Henry's party?" My mother asked as I nodded. She took my hand while holding the gift in her other hand. We walked out of the house and down the driveway. Ariana ran ahead of us to ring the bell. Henry lived within walking distance of our house so we didn't need to drive.

"Do you think he'll like the present?" I asked quietly.

"Yes sweetheart. Henry would like anything you gave him," my mom reassured me as the door swung open to reveal Henry's mother. She had her dark hair pulled back into a tight bun and perils around her neck. She looked at my mom who wore jeans and a pink shirt with a less than impressed look. My mom shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.

"Come in," she said motioning us into the large house.

"Where do you want the gift?" My mom asked as Henry's mom pointed to the pile.

"Henry, Ariana and Rebecca are here," his mother yelled. Henry barreled down the stairs crashing into me. He gripped my wrist pulling me out the back door Ariana following us. We raced outside to the swing set.

"Whoa, you got a swing set!" I stood frozen before the swings.

"Yeah my dad thought I should play outside more," Henry said as I sat on the black seat. I grabbed the silver chains as Henry pushed me.

"This is fun," I smiled. "Higher Henry!" He pushed me higher and higher until I lost my grip. I gasped as I hit the ground. My hand reached out to break my fall. Pain shot through my arm as tears spilled down my cheeks. Ariana sprinted inside as Henry knelt next to me. I cradled my right arm sobbing.

"Mommy mommy," Ariana's panic laced voice called out for my mom while Henry sat there with shock all over his face as he watched me cry. My mother reached us as Henry's mother ranted about how stupid the swing set was.

"What hurts?" My mom asked crouching next to me.

"My... arm..." I said between sobs. My mom scooped me up careful not to bump my arm.

"Is she going to be okay?" Henry asked as my mom walked out the front door.

"She'll be fine Henry," my mom said softly continuing down the driveway. Ariana climbed into the car once we got to our house. My mother buckled me in before getting in the driver seat. We rode to the hospital as I slowly calmed myself down. My arm still hurt but I wasn't crying anymore. My mom parked holding me in her arms as she checked in. We sat in the waiting room. I curled up against my mother while Ariana played with the blocked in the waiting room. My mom stroked my golden hair soothing me as I leaned against her side.

"I ruined his birthday," I muttered as my mom's hand paused before continuing to caress my hair.

"No honey. You didn't ruin his birthday. Henry just wants you to be okay," my mom said as I kept my mouth shut. We sat in the hard hospital chairs with a lot of other children waiting to be seen. The ER for children was always busy and since my injuries weren't serious we had to wait. Hours passed before a nurse finally called for us. Ariana walked behind my mom as she wrapped me in her arms. She placed me on the hospital bed as the nurse asked for my information.

"So what is the reason for your visit today?" She asked as my mother stood beside the bed.

"She fell of a swing and hurt her arm," my mom said softly.

"Which arm?" The nurse asked as my mother looked at me.

"My right one," I said as the nurse entered the information into the computer.

"Sit tight while I see if the doctor is ready," the nurse said stepping out of the room. Ariana climbed on the doctor's spinning chair. She twisted around as my mom watched her.

"Don't fall Ari," my mom said firmly.

"I won't mommy," she grinned as I sat bored on the hospital bed. The doctor walked in a few minutes later to look at my arm. She pushed on my arm as I winced in pain before the doctor decided on an X-ray.

"What's an X-ray?" I asked in confusion.

"We are going to take a picture of your arm to see if you broke it," the doctor said as I nodded. "So would you like your mom to go with you?"

"I want mommy to go with me," I said as my mom glanced at Ari.

"I can have the nurse watch your other daughter until you get back to the room," the doctor said as my mom nodded. The doctor left the room before the X-ray technician came to get us. My mom picked me up carrying me down the cold hallway. On the ceiling the lights had pictures on them; some with clouds others with different animals. My heart raced as we reached the room. The door swung open to reveal a dimly lit room with a big machine. I buried my face against my mom's neck as the fear gripped me.

"Mom set her on the ground. Do you want to stay in the room?" The technician asked her.

"Yes," she said instantly. The man handed my mother a heavy gown to put on over her clothes.

"Sweetie I'm going to touch your hand. I'm sorry if it hurts but I need to position your hand to get a good picture okay?" He said as tears filled my eyes. My arm throbbed as he moved my hand. He released my hand lining up the machine with my arm. "Hold very still." He rushed out of the room. The machine hummed to life before it beeped and fell silent. The man smiled taking the big metal film slide to check the X-ray. My mom had her hand on my shoulder keeping me calm. "I'll take you back to your room and the doctor will look at the photo. My mother took the vest off before holding me close. Two hours later we left the ER with my right arm in a hot pink cast.