Ch. 21 Blindspot

I sat on Henry's lap still recovering from the overwhelming fear Jackson sent rushing through me with one act. Jackson knew where my blindspot was and how to use it to his advantage.

"So now that Jackson is back what do we do?" Ariana asked as I clung to Henry.

"You don't do anything, this is my issue and only I can finish this. You both stay here and protect each other," I said firmly as Henry squeezed my waist trying to calm me.

"I would love to let you handle this but last time he almost killed you Becca," Ariana snapped as I sighed.

"I can't afford to lose you guys," I muttered as Henry caressed my cheek.

"You won't," Henry vowed as I got to my feet.

"I just need to find Jackson," I murmured walking out of the room. I sat on my bed thinking about how my life turned out and how wrong I was to want to be Alpha. My mother hid a lot of myself away because she knew I would eventually hate my life. My phone pulled me from my thoughts. I grabbed my cellphone off the nightstand to find a text from Ben.

Ben: I just wanted to apologize for the other night. I allowed the fun I had to cloud the boundaries. I knew you were with Henry I just thought maybe you felt the same way I did all night. I now know you were just trying to be a good friend to me and support Katie.

Me: it's fine really. I haven't even thought about what happened when you dropped me off. It's not a big deal.

Ben: You aren't still mad at me?

Me: I could never stay mad at you Ben even when I should. How is Katie doing? Is she still on cloud nine from her solo?

Ben: She danced that solo two more times once we got home that night.

Me: I bet. Just let me know if you ever need a babysitter because I miss hanging out with her.

Ben: Are you okay? Something seems off with you. You don't normally forgive this quickly or offer to babysit without me complaining about Katie first.

I stared at his text unsure how I'm supposed to respond to that kind of text. I wanted to confide in someone but I didn't think Ben was the right person. Henry would get pissed and he would be justified.

Me: I'm great just miss Katie.

I put my phone down with a sigh. I couldn't help but wonder why Ben kept reaching out. Was he reaching out because he cares or does he want something more than friendship? I hopped off the bed grabbing a jacket and two guns. I couldn't just sit and wait, I needed to go find Jackson. I slipped out of the house without Henry or my sister noticing. I stood still trying to pick up Jackson's scent before I headed toward the woods. I hit him with the bullet so I could easily pick up his scent. The thin trail of blood led deeper into the woods. I gripped the gun tightly as I crept slowly along the ground. My body froze as the trail led nowhere. I knelt at the last drop of blood groaning with frustration.

"Where the hell are you?" I murmured before standing up. I walked around trying to figure out which way he went but eventually gave up. I headed home only to find Henry and my sister waiting for me.

"Welcome home. Glad you took our talk to heart!" Ariana snapped as Henry's eyes reflected the hurt Ariana voiced.

"I didn't even fight Jackson," I said firmly as my sister glared at me.

"But you tried and that's all that matters," she spat. "Why can't you let us help you?"

"Because I let my mother die!" I screamed as Ariana rushed toward me. She grabbed my hands shaking her head.

"Nothing you did killed her Rebecca. You are one person who didn't have a chance at beating Jackson," Ariana said firmly as tears pooled in my eyes.

"If I had just tried to kill him sooner he never would have hurt her," I said as a tear fell down my cheek.

"Rebecca, you aren't perfect no matter how much you think you are," Ariana said wrapping her arms around me. I relaxed in her arms as Henry pulled us both into his arms. I freed myself from the hug wiping the tears away. "Let us help you."

"I am scared to lose you both," I whispered as Henry grasped my hand.

"I have told you this many times but you won't lose me!" Henry said firmly.

"And besides someone has to stick around to protect my clothes from your poor fashion sense," Ariana said sarcastically.

"We both know I'm the fashionable one," I said allowing her comment to lighten the mood.

"I think you need a break from hunting Jackson," Henry said as I turned toward him.

"What do you have in mind?" I asked as he yanked me toward the front door. Ariana grinned at us as we slipped from the house.

"Sometimes you just have to let loose," Henry said opening the car door for me.

"Why can't you just tell me?" I whined as he laughed.

"I like to mess with you that's why," Henry said driving away from the house. I rolled my eyes as he gripped my left hand. My breath hitched as we parked at my favorite restaurant. Henry took my hand as we walked into the restaurant finding a table by the window. We sat across from each other as I focused my attention on Henry. He always knew how to make me feel safe even when I wasn't.

"You know how to make a girl happy," I smiled as he reached his hand across the table taking my hand.

"I could spend a lifetime making you happy and want more," his words stole my breath as my heart raced. I wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with Henry.