Ch. 13 Beta

"I would love to be Beta," Ariana smiled as I walked into the kitchen. I grabbed a glass of water taking a sip.

"Babe," Henry whispered wrapping his arms around my waist. "Are you sure you are okay?"

"No I'm not but I don't have a choice," I said bluntly. Henry held me tightly against himself as my emotions tumbled around inside me. Fear mixed with the love I felt for Henry.

"Guys," Ariana yelled from the living room. I slipped from Henry's arms walking into the room. "Look." She pointed at the TV. My eyes landed on a picture of Jackson standing over a body. He had a sick smile on his face as he stared at his victim. "He got a council member."

"Crap," I groaned in irritation. "I hoped he would hunt me down first but it seems he wants to control the packs first."

"Oh god, he left a note!" Ariana gasped as the news flashed my name across the bottom of the screen.

"At least he doesn't know my last name," I murmured.

"We need to find him right now," Ariana said firmly. "We don't have the luxury of waiting any longer."

"How do you expect to track him when you couldn't before?" I asked as she stood up.

"I don't know but we have to try," Ariana said when I got an idea.

"Bring the council here and I'll protect them. Jackson will come for them and we won't have to locate him," I said as Ariana grinned.

"I'll go pitch the idea to the council you work with Henry to find a good place for them to stay," Ariana said walking into the guest bedroom.

"Henry, do you know a secure location to house the council to minimize risks?" I asked as Henry pulled up a map on his phone.

"I have a few places but I think the Alpha compound is best," Henry said after a few minutes analyzing the map. "It's big and relatively safe the only reason you stay here was to hide from Jackson."

"I'm done hiding," I said firmly as Henry walked into his bedroom to get the suitcases ready.

"The council members should get here tomorrow," Ariana said as I nodded.

"We are going to wind up taking protection shifts," I told her.

"That's the best way for us to keep the council safe," Ariana muttered. I walked into the bedroom to see if Henry needed any help.

"You almost done packing?" I asked as he nodded. "My vehicle or yours?"

"Doesn't matter," Henry said as I grabbed a suitcase.

"Let's go now before it gets too late," I murmured as we each carried bags to the car. Henry got in the driver side when Ariana climbed in the back. I gripped my gun tightly in my hand while Henry sped toward the compound. My heart pounded in my chest as we pulled up in front of my house. I used to miss my house but now I dreaded going inside. Images of my mother's body laying in her own blood flashed through my head. I slipped out of the car approaching the house. Ariana stood behind me as I pushed the door open. I checked the house before motioning Ariana and Henry inside. My eyes stared at the blood stained floor as memories of Jackson's green cruel gaze flashed through my mind.

"Rebecca," Ariana whispered. I turned toward her to see the concern and pain in her eyes.

"I'm fine just thinking about her," I muttered as she took my hand.

"Which rooms do we want the remaining nine leaders staying in?" Ariana asked to change the subject.

"I think we should put them all in the master bedroom. Van can conjure up some bunk beds," I said as she nodded. "If they are in one place we can be more aware of any threats."

"Okay I'll ask him to conjure some beds while you relax," Ariana said as I sighed. I won't be able to relax until Jackson is dead. Henry took my hand leading me away from where my mother died. We reached the study quickly. He pulled me into the room to a note sitting on the desk. My lips parted slightly as I picked the envelope up. My name scribbled across the front in my mother's handwriting. I slipped the letter out, tears spilling down my face as I read the letter.

Rebecca,
If you are reading this note I must be dead. I need you to know no matter what you think you can't blame yourself. You are not responsible for all the bad things that happen and you can't protect everyone. I love you so much and I'm so proud of you. Be safe and know that I love you!
Mom

"She knew," I whispered as Henry took the note. "She anticipated her death from the moment I was taken. She saw how powerful Jackson was before he killed her."

"She told me what happened to you and I saw how scared she was of him. She realized that he was able to take you without effort and that terrified her," Henry said as I wiped the water from my face.

"I thought I could save her but I couldn't and she didn't want me to hate myself," I muttered as Henry wrapped me in his arms.

"She was right. Even if you don't anymore I saw the guilt on your face when you arrived at the apartment," Henry said rubbing my back. "You have no guilt in this."

"I miss her," I whispered as he held me. I allowed my emotions to flow through my body as I sobbed against Henry. "She was the reason I married Jackson. I thought if I married him he wouldn't hurt my family but he didn't care. All he wants is power."

"We will end this, together," Henry said caressing my cheek. "We can do this."

"I only hope the losses we take aren't significant," I said pulling myself together. I would take Jackson out even if I had to destroy myself to do it.