Ch. 13 Hunted

I slept at Henry's last night. I rolled out of bed rushing home. I grabbed black cropped leggings and a flowy blue tank top. I pulled them on before pulling my hair back. I ran down stairs grabbed a cup of coffee drinking the warm liquid. I decided against going to school today and instead planned to meet up with Henry to try and locate the people who wish to kill me. Ariana walked toward the coffee grabbing the rest.

"Be careful today Ari," I said as she looked at me with confusion. "There are people hunting us."

"What else is new," she said flatly before walking to the SUV. I grabbed my phone before sprinting out of the house. I ran as fast as my legs would go to Henry's apartment.

"Hey beautiful," Henry said planting a quick kiss on my cheek before letting me inside.

"Where do we start?" I asked flopping onto the black couch.

"First we find the girl in the painting," Henry said as I sighed.

"How? I don't even know her name," I said as he smirked.

"That's why she is our opening. She clearly is watching you," Henry said. "If you go somewhere supposedly alone she might try and befriend you. She also could attack you but either way we can take her in."

"If we are doing this give me a gun," I said as Henry handed me a gun.

"Now we need to pick a place you know well in case this doesn't work," Henry said as a small smile played at my lips.

"Tag," 6 year old Henry cheered as we raced around the clearing.

"No fair!" I whined. He always beat me.

"The clearing," I said firmly as Henry nodded.

"Provides places to hide since the whole thing is surrounded by woods," Henry said as I slipped the gun in my waistband covered the cool metal with my shirt. "Be careful and I will follow you in twenty minutes just in case they are watching me."

"See you soon," I said leaving his apartment. I walked slowly toward the clearing acting as natural as possible. My heart beat rapidly as my senses went into overdrive. I heard every movement made to the point I became distracted. Even a bird drew my attention from my surroundings. I reached the woods walking with caution into the clearing. Once in the middle I sat down and pretended to meditate. I shut my eyes allowing my hearing to take control. The gun pressed tightly against my back as I sat on the hard grass. My breathing grew shallow as a twig to my left snapped. I ignored the noise as if I didn't notice. I heard the grass fold beneath feet as the person walked toward me. I could feel the vibrations as their feet pounded against the ground. They couldn't be more that a few feet from me now. I opened my eyes and there she stood, the girl from the painting.

"Hi I'm Taylor," she said as I got to my feet.

"I'm Becca," I plastered my fake smile on my face as she extended her hand to me. I shook her hand before pulling my hand away.

"Why are you in this clearing alone?" She asked as I gave her a naive trusting gaze.

"I needed to think and meditate. That's hard to do at my house," I said as she looked me over. "It's peaceful here."

"That it is," Taylor said when I heard another twig snap. I analyzed Taylor's reaction and she wasn't surprised by the sound. She had backup and they were coming for me.

"So why are you here?" I asked as a smirk crossed her lips.

"Killing a wolf," she said reaching for her weapon. I drew my gun aiming at her head. She froze not anticipating my gun.

"Who do you work for?" I demanded as she glared.

"You'll have to kill me because I won't give you names," she spat as a shot rang out. I watched as Taylor's eyes went blank her body collapsing with a thump. I rushed into the woods hiding behind a tree. The people didn't want me knowing who they were so they killed Taylor to keep her quiet. I gripped the gun tightly before making my way toward town. I had a mile walk before I would even reach my house. I listened for movement when leaves crunched. I spun aiming at the person before me. I gasped as Henry held his hands up. I lowered my gun as Henry and I sprinted out of the woods. My legs throbbed but we couldn't stop. If we stopped they would find us. I only had one place I could be safely and that was with Ariana.

"Keep running," Henry ordered before he stopped facing toward the clearing. My body went numb and I refused to leave him behind.

"Not without you!" I said firmly as he groaned.

"Can't you just listen to me for once?" Henry demanded as he took my hand. We ran quickly when another shot echoed through the streets. I winced with pain as the bullet ripped through my left bicep. I didn't slow down and kept the pace. I glance back to see a man aiming for me. I turned firing three rounds at him. The first bullet entered his leg causing him to fall onto the asphalt. I raced into my house with Henry right behind me. I slammed the door locking it. My mother saw me her eyes widening.

"What happened?" She gasped rushing to inspect my fresh bullet hole. I panted as she led me to the kitchen. I sat at the counter as Henry took the gun out of my shaking hand.

"They came for me like I knew they would," I said pushing the pain away. She grabbed tweezers to pull the bullet out of my arm.

"This is going to hurt," she said as I clamped my jaw shut. Pain pulsed through my body as I bit back a scream. She pulled the metal from my arm before she cleaned the wound. She began to put stitches in since I couldn't go to a hospital with a gunshot wound. Once she finished she wrapped the wound with a bandage. Henry looked sadly at my arm as I sighed.

"I'm fine. The bullet didn't even hit an artery," I said as he stood.

"You risked your life on purpose Rebecca. I told you to leave me but you refused!" Henry screamed as my mother glanced at me.

"That's because I love you, you jackass!" I yelled as he grew quiet. I loved him.