Ch. 27 The Lab

The next morning I woke to my aching body. I got out of bed pulling a white loose fitting shirt and jeans on. I slipped my sneakers on before walking out of Henry's room. I smiled at the sight of Henry back in his apartment.

"Morning," I said as he walked toward me.

"How are you feeling now that your adrenaline is back to normal?" Henry asked me.

"Sore," I said as he placed some ibuprofen and a glass of milk in front of me. I took the medicine quickly. I knew I could ask Van to heal me but I didn't want to bother him unless my wounds were severe. "Where did my family go?"

"They went to the lab with the blood sample. They asked you to join them when you woke," Henry said as I grabbed my gun. I wrapped the holster around my waist before taking Henry's hand. We walked to his car driving to the lab. I got out making my way inside with a slight limp. My mother spotted me first. She smiled walking to meet us.

"You wanted to see me," I said as she nodded.

"I wanted to ask what your theory was," she said as I sat on a stool.

"I think their blood type didn't match mine so my blood clumped with theirs rather than binding like the serum is supposed to," I said to the lab technician.

"We would have to test your blood to determine your blood type," the lab tech said.

"Take what ever you need to figure this out," I said firmly as the lab technician pulled out a needle. I held out my arm allowing them to take my blood.

"Let's find out," the man said running a few tests on my blood. We sat in awkward silence waiting for the results. Henry rubbed my back trying to ease the tension. After an hour the man returned with the results. "You were correct Rebecca. Your blood type didn't match their blood type."

"At least this way Rick can't make Lycans as fast. He doesn't even know how the serum didn't work so he might not make more," I said as my mother nodded.

"Thank you for running the samples so promptly," my mother said as the man smiled at her.

"No problem," and with that the man walked off.

"Well now that we know that we can fill the council in," my mother said as I got to my feet.

"Rebecca," Ariana whispered pulling me aside. "I don't think we should tell the council."

"Why?" I asked softly.

"They might make more Lycans, the strong kind. The more Gemini there are the greater the risk that one will be bad," Ariana said as I sighed.

"I don't think the council would do that," I muttered.

"Not every member of the council has been good. Why do you think Sapphire doesn't get along with them as much as before?" Ariana demanded. "The council nearly killed her because of one member. They arrested him but only after they realized killing her would end the council."

"If we can't trust the council then who do we trust?" I asked softly. "We need their help regardless."

"Fine but if this doesn't work I'm going to be pissed," Ariana spoke softly. I followed my mother out of the building and to the vehicles. We drove to the house where the council was currently staying. I got out as Henry took my hand in his. My mother entered the house first followed by the rest of us. I stood quietly next to my mother as she explained the issues with the bio Lycans along with everything else we learned.

"So they don't know any of this?" The man asked as my mother nodded. "How many did you take out?"

"At least twenty but the leader made it out alive," I said softly.

"How many casualties on our end?" He asked me.

"None so far but only thanks to Rebecca's leadership," Ariana jumped in. "She saw how outnumbered we were and had us retreat while she stayed to fight."

"I propose we attack them in a few weeks during the next full moon. They only reason we couldn't end this was their ability to turn at will," I said firmly. I jumped as my phone vibrated. I pulled it out with a gasp. Bio Lycans attacked at a mall putting us at risk for exposure.

"What's wrong?" My mother asked as I held up my phone. "Damn. I thought they were smarter than that."

"We can't wait for the full moon," I sighed. "The longer they are out in the world the higher the chance they will out us."

"How can we stop them?" Ariana asked as I groaned with frustration.

"I don't know," I said my voice rising slightly.

"The only option I see is high risk," Henry said as we all turned our attention to him. "We could reach out to the Lycan hunters and see if they will help us."

"I don't like this idea," I said flatly.

"Neither do I but do you have someone better to ask?" Ariana asked as I bit my lip.

"What about the witches? They might be willing to help if Sapphire asked," my mother said.

"Should we even get them involved when this isn't their fight?" I asked facing my mother.

"We have to do something and this debate isn't helping," Henry said as I sighed. Each plan had an upside and a downside. Which was better; which was right?

"Maybe I should go in and take out the leader. If Rick wasn't around the bio Lycans might fall into chaos," I said after a minute. "They don't have any other leadership so killing them would be easy without Rick."

"Better idea," Henry said. "I'll use a sniper rifle to take him out and you for bait."

"Mom what do you think?" I asked as she crossed her arms.

"This sounds like a horrible plan," she said when the council jumped in.

"Henry and Rebecca will take out the leader end of discussion," the man said as my mother stiffened. She couldn't argue against them but she didn't want me to risk my life.

"I promise I'll be okay mother and I will finish this," I said firmly before Henry and I walked to his car. We could do this, I had no doubt.