Ch. 27 Limbo

I walked back into the house as the disappointment flowed through every inch of my body. I was so close to ending this but Jackson got away, again! I shut the door as Henry walked over to me. I handed him his gun back without a word. He didn't need my words to understand what had happened. That's one of the things I loved most about Henry, he always understood. He also knew exactly how to respond when I was upset. In this case he said nothing and just watched me with concern. He knew words wouldn't fix this situation.

"Where's Ari?" I asked him while I looked at the damage done to the living room.

"She is trying to find Jackson's base currently as I texted her you got home," Henry said as I sighed running my fingers through my hair in frustration.

"I'm so sick of this," I murmured as Henry put his hand on my lower back trying to calm me.

"We will get him eventually. You have a pack and all Jackson has is Ben," Henry said to reassure me. I gave a weak nod as I leaned against Henry just glad to be in the same room as him again.

"We should probably go help Ari," I said after a moment. Henry nodded reluctantly before he handed me an extra gun. We climbed into the truck driving to headquarters where Ari was. We got out of the car entering the building. I found Ari looking over some maps locating abandoned buildings in hopes of figuring out where Jackson could be hiding. "Ari." Her dark eyes snapped up as a smile spread across her lips. She jumped up throwing her arms around me. I relaxed into her arms before letting her lead me to what she was working on. She had identified a few locations one of which was a place I had been to before.

"These are a few places I thought he would pick but obviously you understand him better than me," Ari said as I gave a small nod. I grabbed a pen marking the place he had kept me.

"You got one correct," I said simply as I gazed at the map trying to figure out my next move. I wasn't trying to locate Jackson more like strategize a next move beyond a blind search for Jackson and Ben. if I continued the way I have they would always get the jump on me and I couldn't let them anymore.

"What are you look for?" Ari asked softly breaking through the cloud of plans I had been sifting through.

"I was trying to pick a location to draw Jackson to," I whispered as her eyes widened.

"You seriously want to face him that quickly when you just faced him recently?" Ari asked in shock as I gave a firm nod.

"I can't live with the fear any longer. He could hurt anyone anytime and so I will end him before he has the chance to end you," I told her my eyes glistening with rage. Ari listened to me before throwing her arms around me gently.

"Be careful Becca," she whispered as I nodded before pulling out of her arms. I passed Henry without a single glance knowing he would beg me to wait. His dark eyes would plead with me until I caved in and so I didn't look at him as I left the building. I hadn't walked far from the building when I saw Ben. Ben's back was to me and he was leaning against a tree. I drew my gun walking over to him tensely. I pointed the gun at him calling his name. He didn't move as I stepped around to see his face. The moment my eyes locked onto his face my jaw dropped. Ben's eyes were gone and his throat had been slashed. I knew Jackson had done this but that didn't change the guilt I felt seeing him dead. I hadn't been the one to kill him but I had made him vulnerable enough for Jackson to kill him. This felt like my fault.

"Oh Ben," I whispered as tears blurred my vision. I wish Ben hadn't trusted Jackson. Ben would still be alive if he had stayed away from Jackson. I pushed my feelings aside burying them deep inside to process at a later time after all this is over. I shook my head and let the anger roll through my body. I walked away from Ben's body with purpose. I couldn't risk my family so I left Ben's body to continue with my plan. I reached the building where everything started, the place Jackson got his Lycan abilities standing by what was left of that building.

I climbed through the burnt rubble standing in what would have been the center of the building. I shut my eyes taking a deep breath. I felt my anxiety fading and my heart slowing as I cleared my mind. I knew today was the day I would either kill Jackson or be killed by him. There wasn't another option for me anymore. I let the cool breeze brush across my skin while I continued to take calming breaths. I knew Jackson would come, he always did when I was alone. I felt a hand stroke my arm lightly before the touch vanished seconds later. If I hadn't been focused I may not have noticed the touch. My eyes flew open in search of the person who caressed my arm but I found myself alone standing on top of the burnt wood.

"I know you're here Jackson!" I said my voice echoing through the open space. I got no response as I looked around me turning slowly. I would wait all night if I had too but I was facing Jackson tonight!