Ch. 12 Emotions

I woke to the smell of waffles. I stumbled out of bed making my way into the kitchen. Henry faced me as he placed the chocolate chip waffles in front of me. I ate the warm food in silence. Once I finished eating I washed my plate in the sink.

"Rebecca," Ariana called as I strode over to her. "I hate to bring this up right now but when are we having the funeral?"

"We will have the funeral as soon as I deal with Jackson. I would hate for him to ruin the funeral," I said softly.

"So in the weeks you were with Jackson what happened?" Ariana asked as I stiffened. I touched the scar on my stomach as the memories hit me. Ariana rushed forward lifting my shirt as her eyes widened. "Oh god, did he do this?"

"Among other things," I muttered. Most of my wounds had healed leaving no scar but for some reason that wound left a mark. I wondered if Mason was the reason. He wanted me to have a visible reminder of Jackson.

"What did he do?" She asked as tears welled in my eyes.

"So many things. He tortured me the entire time I was missing because I refused to let him hurt Henry," I said my voice trembling. "He is a serial killer with a big imagination. He never tortured the same way twice."

"You should have let him kill me," Henry said reaching for me. I stepped away from him unwilling to break down. If Henry held me I would break and then Jackson would win. I couldn't let Jackson win.

"Excuse me," I mumbled as I walked into the bathroom. I locked the door before Henry could follow me into the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. The darkness I saw swirling in my eyes was a direct result from the prolonged torture inflicted by Jackson. In my efforts to resist him I had fractured a small piece of myself. The little piece opened a window that could potentially allow a darkness to take hold. I rested my hands against the sink as I breathed through the memories bubbling up. After I pushed the images out of my mind I pulled myself together. I yanked the bathroom door open striding into the living room.

"Do you think she's stable?" Ariana whispered to Henry.

"What I saw just now wasn't Rebecca. I don't think she is a threat but she most certainly isn't as solid as she once was. Did you see the agony in her eyes as she thought about Jackson?" Henry said softly.

"Something is different this time. When my ex took her she came back stronger but now I see nothing but fear and doubt inside her," Ariana muttered. "My sister is scared of what's coming and she doesn't know what to do."

"She doesn't even have a plan," Henry said as I continued to listen in to their conversation.

"Her emotions may kill us all. She's allowing her emotions to dictate her actions and as an Alpha she can't do that," Ariana said softly. They were right; I am scared and I don't know what to do. I am a liability to the pack like this.

"Ari, are you able to lead the pack if Rebecca crumbles?" Henry asked firmly.

"I don't want to but if I need to I can," Ariana said as I got to my feet. I snuck out of the apartment with my gun strapped to my thigh. I needed to talk to Sapphire without Ariana and Henry.

"Sapphire," I called out. Van appeared before me with Sapphire. Her eyes were red from crying. Van must have told her about my mom. "I need to ask you about being an Alpha."

"Alright," she said as looked into her eyes.

"Can I be Alpha even when I'm not the same as I used to be?" I asked softly as confusion filled her eyes.

"What do you mean?" She asked me.

"I am filled with this overwhelming fear and according to Henry and Ari I'm letting it control my decisions," I whispered as she froze. She opened her mouth to speak but couldn't think how to respond. "Are my emotions a weakness?"

"No," she said after a minute. "Emotions aren't weak that is just something the pack thought was true. When I was an Alpha my emotions influenced every call I made and most of the time I was terrified."

"I don't know what to do next," I muttered as she sighed taking my hand.

"Trust me, you know exactly what you are doing even if you don't understand right now," she said with a small smile. "You are stronger than you think Rebecca and you are just like your mother."

"Thanks. I guess I needed to hear from an Alpha if I was going to screw us all," I said as she nodded.

"I love you Becca," she said before her and Van teleported away. I walked back into the apartment to find Henry and Ariana waiting for me.

"Where were you?" Ariana asked as I locked the door.

"I needed some Alpha advice," I said as Henry walked toward me.

"And?" He asked as I sighed.

"Sapphire said I'm doing great," I said softly. "She said that my emotions are a strength."

"You heard us," Ariana gasped regret in her eyes.

"Don't feel bad Ari. You had the pack in mind and I know you had legitimate concerns. I am scared and unsure what exactly I'm doing but Sapphire says that's exactly how she felt as Alpha," I said calmly. "I'm not angry or hurt in fact I'm grateful that you brought this up."

"Wow I thought you would be mad or something," Ariana muttered. "I would be pissed if you said that about me."

"Once you are responsible for more than yourself all you can think about is everyone else. You stop arguing about the little things," I said with a smirk. "How would you like to be my Beta Ari?"