Ch. 14 The Council

I woke early the next day to get ready. I pulled black jeans and a white tank top on. I strapped two guns to my thighs. I threw my hair into a messy ponytail before grabbing two more guns. I strapped both to my hips. I hid a knife by my ankle before I headed down stairs. I saw both Henry and Ariana sitting in the living room waiting for the council.

"They are five minutes out," Ariana told me as I nodded. I paced nervously until the doorbell rang. I rushed to the door opening it.

"Rebecca," one council leader said tightly. I led them inside and up to the room.

"I know one room isn't ideal but that's the best way to eliminate risks," I said as they all piled into the room. "If you need anything make sure you let me or my sister know." I stepped out of the room but stayed close.

"Is it just me or do they seem pissed?" Ariana asked me. I shot her a glare though I had realized the same thing. The council blamed me for not taking Jackson out before he killed a council leader. Henry walked over to us wrapping his arm around me as we stood in the hallway. "You want morning or night shift?"

"I'll take the night shift you both take the day shift," I said planting a kiss on Henry's cheek before I went into my bedroom. I curled up on the mattress shutting my eyes. I struggled to fall asleep as the sunlight filled the room.

"Pretty Lycan," Jackson's voice called to me. I looked around at my surroundings, the woods. "Come to me." My feet carried me toward the sound.

"Where are you Jackson?!" I yelled anger filling me.

"Behind you," he laughed. I spun to find my sister hanging from a tree with blood oozing from her throat.

"Ariana," I rushed toward her but she was dead.

"Everyone dies around you," Jackson said as I turned toward his voice.

"Show yourself," I demanded only to be shown the thing I feared most. Henry with my name carved into his chest and a bullet in his head.

"It's your fault they died," Jackson whispered in my ear. I whipped around facing Jackson. "Where is she Mason?"

"I can't get a clear read. Something is impeding my access to her," Mason said softly.

"Where are you?" Jackson asked as I glared at him.

"She has the council with her but I still can't find her," Mason muttered from the shadows.

"I'm not hiding from you Jackson. I'm not scared of you," I snapped as he gripped my throat.

"I will take everything from you," he growled as I fought against him.

"You can try," I snapped before pulling free from his grasp. His nails scraped my throat as I yanked myself from his hand. I turned sprinting deeper into the woods. My heart raced as I continued to run.

"I will find you Rebecca and I will not hesitate to kill you," Jackson's voice echoed through the woods...

I woke up covered in sweat. I climbed out of bed touching my throat. My fingers brushed three thin scratches as I breathed heavily. That wasn't just a dream but somehow he used magic to torture me in my sleep. I looked out at the setting sun and decided to get some food before taking over protection detail. I placed a bowl of mac and cheese in the microwave before pushing start. I put my emotions in check before the timer went off. I stuffed the food into my mouth before I grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge. I headed up the stairs to where Henry and my sister were waiting.

"You guys get some sleep and make sure you eat before you come back," I smiled sitting in the chair in the hallway. My guns pressed against my legs as I sat there. Henry's lips caressed mine before he left with Ariana. I felt weary of the threat looming over us even as we slept.

"Rebecca," one council member said catching my attention.

"Yes sir," I said getting to my feet.

"We would like to speak to you," he said motioning me into the room. I stood before the council calmly.

"We wanted to know what happened to your mother exactly," a second council leader muttered.

"She was killed by Jackson," I said harsher than I meant to, thinking about my mother hurt.

"How though?" She asked me.

"He had a witch on his side. At the time, I had no way to resist the magic but now I can," I said holding back the tears.

"What did the witch do?" She continued to question me.

"He pushed me out of the way so Jackson could shoot my mother," I whispered as I heard glass break. I stiffened as I slipped my gun from the holster rushing out of the room. I looked around but found nothing in the hallway. "Ari? Henry?" I took a shaky breath as I crept down the hallway. The lights cut out reducing visibility slightly. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs as I yelled. "Henry?"

"Not quite," Jackson's voice floated toward me. My grasp on the gun tightened as I raced back to the council. I couldn't leave them unprotected especially because Jackson worked with Mason.

"What's wrong?" A council member asked as I shut the door.

"Jackson is here but I can't leave you alone," I rambled keeping my eyes on the door.

"Where are you my love?" Jackson called out for me. I aimed my gun at the door waiting for him to open the door.

"In here," I growled as he laughed.

"I thought you said you weren't hiding from me," he said yanking the door open. I fired two rounds at him as he dodged my shots. "That's not nice my sweet."

"Consider that my request for a divorce," I spat as a bright light flooded my vision.