Ch. 30 Through the Darkness

I felt two strong arms scoop me up. The smoke blocked my vision of the person holding me. I hung limp in their arms as they walked through the fire. The arms holding me cradled me gently as we stepped into the fresh air outside. My lungs took in as much air as possible. The dizziness overtook me as I slipped into the darkness once more.

"Rebecca," my father smiled at me. I rushed into his arms as he squeezed me.

"Daddy," I said softly as he pulled away.

"You did great honey," he said caressing my cheek. "You are so like your mother."

"How so?" I asked confused what he was getting at.

"She was fearless and strong. She had so much compassion she disregarded her life for others just like you did today. You have her stubborn streak too," my father smirked as I laughed. My mind nagged me to ask the obvious question but I feared the answer to the question. The answer meant whether or not I could see Henry again. "You are a beautiful girl who grew to be a selfless woman."

"Thanks dad," I said softly as he took my hand in his.

"Stay with me," he said after a moment. I looked up at him with confusion.

"I'm not dead yet?" I asked my voice struggling to say each word.

"You are in the balance right now," my dad said as I saw a bright light behind me. I took one step toward the light as my father clung to my hand. "Please don't go." This seemed unlike my father. He wouldn't pressure me to stay dead with him. I faced him with concern when I saw the pain and loneliness on his features.

"Daddy, I love Henry you know," I muttered to him. I saw the guilt in his eyes as his hand slipped from mine.

"I love you, my little girl," he said as I turned back to the light. I could hear Henry's voice calling to me through the darkness. I slowly walked toward the light stopping on the edge of the darkness. I glanced back at my father who had tears in his eyes.

"I love you dad," I whispered before walking into the light...

My eyes flew open as I breathed air into my lungs. I coughed as I heard sighs of relief. My eyes found his first, those brown eyes that brought me through the darkness. I draped my arms around him as his hands wrapped around my waist. I breathed in his smell as I winced. My side throbbed with pain. No one healed me yet. Henry pulled away looking at me with concern.

"Did I hurt you?" He asked as my mother called for Van. He appeared with Sapphire rushing to my side. He healed me as I got to my feet.

"Henry," I reached for him. He took me into his arms as I leaned against him. I rested my head on his shoulder as my family watched us.

"Hey Cupcake," Henry said without joy in his voice but exhaustion. He must have stayed awake the entire time I had been gone.

"When should we tell them?" Sapphire asked my mother. I stayed in Henry's arms only glancing at my aunt as she spoke.

"I guess now works," my mother said with a smile.

"You are mates Rebecca," Sapphire smiled as Henry continued to hold me tightly against him as if I would fade away.

"I have known that for a long time," I said with a small smirk. I knew the first day I met him when I was five, he stole my cupcake. Henry's tired eyes watched my every movement. "Henry, when was the last time you slept?"

"It doesn't matter," he said and I knew he must have stayed awake for days.

"To bed," I said firmly pulling him from the living room to his bedroom. He lay down his hand tugging me toward the red satin sheets.

"Stay with me," he begged as I looked down at my soot covered body.

"I need a shower," I said calmly. He pulled me onto the bed, my head on his chest and his arms around my waist. I shut my eyes giving in to him. Henry needed me right now, a shower could wait. I listened to his heartbeat pounding in his chest. We were in sync. Henry fell asleep minutes before me.

---

I woke up to find Henry staring at me.

"Hi," I said groggily. Henry brushed a strand of golden hair from my face. We just looked at each other saying nothing. I could look into his eyes all day but the sound of my family in the living room popped our bubble and reality hit me. "I need a shower." This time Henry let me go. I showered rapidly before pulling on jeans and a white t shirt. I stepped out of the bathroom as Henry's hand slipped into mine. We walked into the living room.

"Hi Becca," Ariana smiled. I could see the caution in her eyes, they thought I was fragile.

"Mom, how many of the bio Lycans got away?" I asked as Henry stiffened.

"None," she said as I relaxed. "It's finally over."

"You destroyed the facility. A few minutes after Henry pulled you from the fire the whole building collapsed," Ariana said to me.

"At least the serum is gone," I said softly. Henry spun me toward him his lips caressing mine. My breath hitched as his hands gripped my waist. Electricity rippled through my system waking every inch of my body. I ran my fingers through his hair as the kiss deepened.

"Ugh. You guys are so gross," Ariana whined. "Get a room already before you eat her tongue!" I grabbed a pillow off the couch without my lips leaving Henry's and hit my sister with the white pillow. She gasped as Henry and I pulled apart breathless and longing for more. Henry was my light through the darkness.