Ch. 22 Forget for Now

"I love you Henry," I smiled at him as he held me hand that rested on the white tablecloth.

"Do you have any recommendations?" Henry asked as I looked at the menu in front of me.

"I think you would want the steak," I said after giving the menu some thought. The waiter walked over to us asking for our orders. "I want your crab legs please."

"And I'll have the steak medium rare with a side of broccoli with cheese on top," Henry said handing both menus to the waiter.

"Do you remember that one party we went to in middle school? Our parents made us go," I said as a smirk spread across his lips.

"We went to the party but we were annoying all the guests. Halfway through the party your mother sent us up to your room so we snuck out the window," Henry said his thumb rubbing circles on my hand.

"We left and hung out on the roof until five in the morning," I giggled. "Our parents were so pissed but my mother seemed to have and understanding sparkle in her eyes. I wonder if she thought about us being mates."

"I know that was the best part of the stuffy party. We got to play truth or dare on the roof and I learned things about you I didn't know," Henry said as I blushed.

"You sure did," I said flashing to my most embarrassing secret that only Henry knew, I climbed a tree as a kid but lost my footing. I hung upside down for twenty minutes before I managed to free myself.

"I love you because of your openness with me and that night brought us closer together even if I didn't realize it," Henry said as the waiter put the food in front of us. I ate the soft crab as Henry cut into his juicy steak.

"I remember that dare that we never completed," I whispered as his eyes locked on to mine.

"Trust me you don't want to test me," he said holding back a smile.

"Oh but I do," I said taking another bite.

"You remember my reward if I beat you?" Henry asked as I nodded.

"Oh yes I do," I said finishing my crab.

"After desert I'll complete the dare," Henry said as the waiter returned.

"One slice of chocolate cake," I said as the waiter came back a few minutes later with the cake and the check. Henry took the fork feeding me the first bite. My heart fluttered as he gave me the gooey chocolate with such care. I grabbed the fork eating half the cake before Henry started on the other half.

"Ready my Cupcake?" Henry asked getting to his feet. We walked out of the restaurant with Henry's arm draped around my shoulders. He held me tightly against his side as we reached the car. He spun me toward him his lips crashing against mine as my breath hitched. I melted against him as the kiss deepened. My heart pounded in my chest as he held me in his embrace. He pulled away only an inch between us as we gazed at each other. His breath brushed my lips before he spoke. "I love you Rebecca."

"I love you too Henry," I said before we climbed into the car. He drove us to the beach as the sun slipped past the horizon.

"You sure you want to race?" He asked as I nodded. I slipped my clothes off leaving only my underwear on my body. I looked around the quiet moon lit beach before getting ready.

"Three... two... one... go!" I yelled as we sprinted to the water. I plunged into the liquid at the same time as Henry. The water felt cold as the stars glistening off the rippling waves. I pulled the liquid propelling myself forward I couldn't let Henry beat me. I watched as Henry reached the buoy before me. I reached him panting as he laughed. "How did you get so fast?"

"Practice," he laughed as he stroked my cheek. "Now time to claim my reward."

"Kiss away!" I grinned as he wrapped his arms around my waist sending fire racing across my skin before his lips caressed mine. Neither of us wanted to pull away from the kiss but eventually Henry released me. Even though I lost I won because his lips touched mine.

"I guess we should go back," Henry sighed as I nodded in agreement. We climbed up the beach to the car. We both pulled our clothes back on and when I turned around Henry was on one knee. I gasped as he held out a diamond ring with two small moonstones on each side of the diamond on a white gold band.

"Henry," tears filled my eyes as I stared at the love of my life.

"Since the day I stole your cupcake I knew you were the one for me. Over the course of our lives you showed me what truly matters and that the rest will fade away when we are together. You are sweet and kind with nothing but compassion in your body. Even when you are broken you are strong and in the wake of tragedy you hold us together. You are the light that leads us through the darkness. I love you so much. Rebecca, will you marry me?" Henry asked as tears rushed down my cheeks. I tried to speak but his words stole my voice so I nodded vigorously holding my left hand out to him. The ring fit my finger perfectly as he stood pulling me into his arms leaving no space between us. My lips collided with his hungrily in the moonlight. I didn't think I could be any happier today until Henry proposed, he was everything I needed.

"I love you," I said looking at my ring with an unsuppressable grin on my face.  "My fiancé!" Henry's eyes flashed with joy when I said fiancé.

"I can't wait to call you my wife," Henry said as we got into the car. I stared at the ring the rest of the way home and allowed myself to forget about Jackson for now. I was going to marry Henry and I felt no hesitation in marrying him. Henry was my mate and I was his.