Ch. 16 Grief

I woke the next morning getting up. I felt numb as I headed into the kitchen. Ariana sat at the marble island sipping on her coffee. She shot me a glare as I grabbed the box of cereal. The crunch of the cereal broke the tense silence. I put my dish in the sink walking away from Ari. Her anger pained me almost as much as letting Mason go.

"You are just going to walk away without saying anything?!" She spat as I froze.

"Nothing I say will take away the pain Ariana," I murmured turning toward her. "Killing Mason won't bring her back. At the end of the day mom still dead and that is something I have to live with because I couldn't save her!" Tears dripped down my face as my emotions rushed through me. I saw Ariana's eyes soften briefly before hardening.

"Killing Mason is the only thing I have ever asked of you," Ariana said harshly. "You are my sister first not my Alpha!"

"I am your sister but I have a responsibility to the pack Ariana. My actions impact more than us," I sighed as she strode toward me.

"I want my sister back," she said as I glared.

"I'm right here!" I yelled as she shook her head.

"I don't even know you," she said rushing from the room. Tears pooled in my violet eyes as I walked into the living room. I picked up the photo of my mom and dad. My fingers touched the glass as tears splashed on my hand. I missed them so much and I can't even talk to Ari about my agony.

"Rebecca," Henry's voice filled the room. I set the picture down facing Henry.

"She hates me," I whispered as Henry embraced me.

"She is hurting but I don't think she hates you," Henry said as I sighed.

"She isn't the only one hurting," I said as Henry gripped my hand.

"One day she'll come around Becca," Henry said as I slipped from his arms.

"I just hope her emotions don't hurt us," I muttered as I walked up the stairs. I reached my mother's study entering the room. I sat at her desk trying to feel close to her. I fell deeply into my childhood memories...

My four year old feet bounced across the hard floor as I raced down the hall. Ariana followed behind me giggling. I slipped into my mother's study with Ari a few feet away from me.

"Slow down I can't tag you," Ari complained as my legs pumped harder.

"You can't catch me!" I squealed as I ran in circles around my mother's desk. My mother looked up from her book with a sigh and a smirk on her face.

"Haven't I told you both if you want to play you should go outside?" My mother said trying not to laugh. She reached her hand out grabbing my arm stopping me in my tracks.

"But it's no fun outside," I whined.

"We're bored Mommy," Ari said as my mother scooped me onto her hip. She gripped Ari's hand leading us out of the house.

"Where are we going mama?" I asked as she put us in the car.

"We are going someplace fun," my mom grinned as we buckled up. My eyes lit up as we pulled up at the zoo. "Now stay close to mommy and listen to me okay."

"Yes mommy," Ari and I said together. We climbed out walking through the crowd. She paid for the tickets before we rushed into the zoo.

"Where to first?" She asked us.

"I want to see the tigers!" I smiled as Ariana nodded. We walked toward the tiger exhibit. I slipped my hand into my mother's causing her to look down at me. Ariana stayed a few feet behind us as we reached the tigers.

"Can you guys see okay?" My mom asked as I reached up. She grinned before holding me up.

"That one's big," I said pointing at the tiger pacing on the rocks near the edge of the enclosure. My mother turned to Ariana about to pick her up.

"I can see fine," Ariana snapped as my mother faced the tigers again. I ignored Ariana's comment, my attention focused solely on the tigers. "Let's go see the penguins!"

"I'm hungry," I said as my mother placed me on the ground.

"We'll get food on the way to the penguins," my mom said as I clung to her hand. My eyes drifted to the different animals we passed before we reached a concessions stand. "Do you want chicken or a corn dog?"

"A corn dog," I cheered as Ariana stood next to me.

"Chicken," she said as my mom ordered. She handed me the corn dog covered in ketchup before giving Ariana her food. I took a bite of the soft warm food. My mother walked in between us eating her own corn dog. We wandered around until we reached the building that housed the penguins. We stepped into the cool building Ariana racing ahead of us. She pressed her face against the glass of the penguin exhibit. "Look mommy!" Ariana's chocolate eyes glowed as she stared at the penguins.

"That penguin must like you," my mom smiled as the penguin walked right up to Ariana. I finished my corn dog as my mom took the stick from me. I sat on the little ledge next to Ariana watching the small penguins waddle around.

"You have cute kids," a man said to my mom.

"Thanks," she said tightly as I looked toward them.

"So are you a single mom?" He asked slyly.

"Yes I am," she said before motioning me and Ariana to come. I tugged Ari away from the penguins as my mom picked me up. "We should get going girls."

"Let me buy them some ice cream," he said as she shook her head.

"No thank you," she said gripping Ari's hand leading us out of the building.

"I wanted ice cream," Ariana pouted as my mom knelt down.

"I'll buy you ice cream okay I just didn't want that man to buy us food," mom said softly planting a kiss on Ariana's cheek. We found a table sitting in the shade. "Stay here while I get the ice cream." I watched families walk by and couldn't help but wish I had a dad. Mommy rarely mentioned him and I didn't ask about him but I was still curious about him. Mom returned handing us each an ice cream cone. I licked the cold smooth vanilla treat quickly as the heat started to melt the ice cream. My mom watched us eat the desert occasionally taking a lick off our ice cream cones. Once I had finished the ice cream I handed my mother the cone. I never ate the cone.

Tears filled my eyes as a slight smile pulled across my face. That day was one of my favorite memories from my childhood. The spontaneous adventure my mother provided allowed us to feel like the most important thing to her even while she had the weight of the pack on her shoulders. I missed her...