Ch. 18 Morning

I woke early to my roommate shaking me awake.

"I'm Tasha," she said as I rubbed my eyes.

"What time is it?" I asked as she pointed to the clock.

"You have ten minutes to get ready. We are required to be at breakfast by ten," Tasha said as I nodded. I got up changing into a dark purple skin tight crop top and jean mini skirt. I slipped black stilettos on before walking down stairs. I spotted Henry talking with another guy. I went to sit next to him when Rick called to me. I plastered a smile on my face as I approached Rick.

"Hey Rachel," Rick said pulling my chair out for me. I sat down as he walked to his seat next to me. "How was your night?"

"Good but I would have preferred you to room with me," I lied. I almost gaged at how bad my flirting was but Rick seemed to enjoy me.

"That could be arranged," Rick said as his hand rested on my thigh under the table. I wanted to push him away but I couldn't blow my cover. Being his girlfriend would give me better access to the facility than the rest of the recruits. I noticed how close I had leaned toward Rick. I saw Henry looking toward us with a hint of jealousy in his eyes. The food was placed in the middle of the table causing Rick to turn his attention elsewhere. I piled pancakes on my plate and three sausages. I ate them quickly and drank my coffee though I didn't enjoy the coffee as much. They put zero sugar in the coffee.

"Sis," Henry said standing next to me.

"Bro," I responded with a smirk.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" He asked as I sighed.

"Excuse me Ricky," I said walking into the hallway with Henry. "What?"

"Do you like him?" He asked quiet but harshly.

"No but being his girlfriend gives us access," I whispered careful to make sure no one was ease dropping on our conversation.

"How far are you planning to go with him?" He asked as I crossed my arms.

"As far as necessary," I said as he sighed.

"Be careful Rachel," he said using my fake name.

"I promise," I said walking back into the dinning room. I flashed Rick a smile as I walked over to him. Rick grabbed my arm pulling me onto his lap.

"What did he want?" Rick asked as I wrapped my arm around him.

"He asked if you were being honorable in your actions with me," I said as he looked into my eyes.

"And what did you say?" He asked as I paused pretending to think.

"I said Ricky has dishonorable intentions obviously," I teased him as he tickled me. I burst out laughing. "Okay I told him you are the best guy ever."

"I want to take you somewhere," Rick said as I got off his lap.

"Where to boss?" I asked as he gripped my hand leading me to his car. We drove into town pulling over at a lab. Rick laced his fingers through mine as we entered the lab. I saw a lab tech observing some blood in a microscope.

"Quinn," Rick said catching the lab technician's attention.

"Ricky what are you doing here?" He asked as we walked over to him.

"I want my girl here to see our guest," Rick said as I gave a polite smile.

"Right this way," Quinn said leading us past a set of locked doors. We turned down a dimly lit hallway and deep into the building. Quinn flipped a light switch lighting a room behind thick glass. I gasped seeing a girl curled in the corner. I knew her, she was in my pack.

"Who is she?" I asked Rick.

"The correct question is what is she?" Rick said as my eyes flashed to her.

"She's a wolf isn't she?" I asked him though I knew the answer.

"Yes she is," Rick said as I faced him.

"Does this mean we can become wolves soon?" I questioned faking excitement.

"Unfortunately no," Rick said as I acted disappointed. "The amount of wolf blood in her system isn't enough to turn others. Quinn here thinks the Alpha who is the strongest might be able to give us answers."

"Who is the Alpha then?" I asked as he laughed.

"Someone who is heavily guarded by other wolves," Rick said tightly. He hated my family all because Ariana dumped him.

"Man, I really wanted to be a wolf," I sighed as Rick caressed my cheek.

"Soon my lovely," he said as my blood ran cold. He called my sister lovely when they dated. I pressed my lips to his as he held me close. His touch sent a wave of nausea through me. I felt no attraction to him. I pulled back as Rick's hand snaked around my waist. "I have one more place to show you." We left the lab and instead of getting in his car we walked down the street toward my house. The house they took Ariana from and nearly killed Sapphire. We entered the house walking to the living room.

"What happened here?" I asked motioning to the broken furniture.

"We tried to get the Alpha," he said handing me a picture of my mother.

"She doesn't look that special," I said putting the photo down.

"She is the key to human evolution," Rick said taking my hand. I saw our family picture and decided to mess with Rick a bit.

"Who is that?" I pointed to a photo of Ari and watched a moment of rage flash in his gaze.

"One of the people standing in our way," he said anger causing his voice to shake.

"I hope we get the Alpha," I said as we headed back toward his car. Rick stayed silent the rest of the way back to the car. I climbed in for the long quiet ride back to the facility.