Ch. 15 Worse

The next few days were chaos. People coming and going at all hours. Leads that led to nowhere.

"Becca," Henry said pulling me from my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I called as he entered the room. He handed me a protein shake.

"You aren't eating enough so drink that," Henry said as I sighed. He was correct. I had barely eaten one meal a day since this all started. I didn't have the time to eat since I feared for my mom's safety. I spent all my free time either guarding her or looking for some way to track this Lycan fan club. I even went as far as looking for a website but found nothing. No one in the group so far had an online presence at all. I chugged the drink returning to my computer. I scrolled for hours until Henry took the laptop.

"Hey," I reached for the computer.

"No, this isn't healthy. You need to sleep before your early morning guard detail," Henry ordered. I rolled my eyes but stopped reaching for the laptop. Henry left the room as I crawled under the covers. I drifted to sleep.

"Get her!" A man yelled as I rushed through the woods. I felt two arms yank me back. I struggled but he just laughed. "Pretty little wolf. You will give me what I want."

I shot up breathing heavily. Just a dream. I climbed out of bed hopping in the shower. I let the cool water wake me up. I got out pulling on my black cropped leggings and a white tank top. I grabbed the gun off my nightstand before pulling my hair up. I walked down stairs where my mother sat surrounded by armed guards. Once I walked up two men left. She thought I was strong enough to replace two guys in her protection detail.

"Sleep well?" She asked me.

"Perfect," I lied unwilling to tell her about my nightmare.

"We have a lead but we have to go across town. There is a lab technician who is oddly fascinated by werewolves," my mother said.

"We are bringing extra men if you want to go with," I told her as she nodded. We got into three SUVs. I rode with my mother all the way to the lab. We got out heading inside. The lab technician took off running the moment he saw me. I recognized him from my field trip. I followed him quickly as my mother called for me to stop. Once outside I drew my weapon. I caught up to him easily putting my gun to the back of his head. "Why you running slick?"

"Misjudged your reaction time," he said simply as I shoved him into the SUV. My mother and I got into a separate SUV driving home while they took the lab technician to the holding cells. I called the guards.

"Watch him carefully. No repeats of the last one," I ordered hanging up. We reached the house the smell of blood hitting me. "Stay here!" I got out holding the gun tightly. I stepped into the house slowly seeing lamps broken and furniture overturned. I saw Sapphire lying on the ground with blood leaking from a wound on her stomach. I rushed toward her putting pressure on her wound as she wheezed. "VAN!" He appeared before my eyes. He scrambled to Sapphire healing the gunshot wound as I continued through the house. There wasn't anyone else here but I found a note.

We have the girl. Give us the alpha or little wolfie dies a slow gruesome death. You have two hours. Meet in the clearing for the trade.

Tears filled my eyes as Sapphire approached me.

"I tried but I couldn't help her," Sapphire said softly. "I didn't even have a moment to call for help."

"How many were there?" I asked her.

"At least ten and they used me to get Ariana to leave with them," Sapphire said as I stormed out of the house. I couldn't tell my mother about this so I needed to get Henry. Henry was the only person who might be able to save my sister.

"Take her to another location," I told a guard before running to Henry's apartment. I banged on the door until Henry opened it.

"Is that blood?" He gasped as I looked down at my hands. Sapphire's blood stained my hands.

"They took Ari to the clearing. They want my mother to switch places. I love Ariana but I couldn't tell my mother. She would become too emotional and just hand herself over dooming us all," I said rapidly. "I need your help to save my sister."

Henry grabbed all the weapons he could find before we headed to the clearing. I saw Ariana tied up in the center with two men beside her. There was no way there were only two guys. The rest of the men must be hiding in the woods. I sighed before shifting. My only option was my Lycan form. I rushed around the edge of the clearing just as Henry walked around shooting as many guys as he could. At least Henry had a silencer or this would have been much more challenging. I found a man standing there with a gun. I snuck up behind him snapping his neck. I located another man this time crushing his windpipe. I ripped into as many guys as I could. Bullets began whiz past me as the men realized what I had been doing. A few of the bullets grazed me but my quick movements made me difficult to hit. The smell of blood filled the woods. Everything grew quiet before I entered the clearing. I raced toward the first guy biting into his throat as the second nailed me in the stomach. I whimpered as the bullet plunged into my abdomen. Henry shot the man without hesitation. I lay on my side turning human. Henry cut Ariana loose before scooping me up. Henry ran as fast as possible away from the clearing. My blood oozed soaking my shirt. Ariana ran after us as I struggled to stay conscious.

"Van." I murmured before everything went black...