Ch. 15 Mason

I felt an arm wrap around my waist as the light faded. Jackson tossed me across the room as Mason smirked. I winced getting to my feet slowly. I pulled out my other gun taking a shot at Jackson. The bullet ripped through his shoulder as he glared at me.

"Kill her," Jackson ordered as Mason aimed his full power at me. The necklace hummed to life preventing his magic from touching me as Mason's eyes filled with irritation.

"Lost your touch Mason?" I sniped as I fired a shot at Mason. The bullet plunged into his stomach as he collapsed. A sharp pain in my side caused me to look down. A small blade stuck out of my side as Jackson smiled.

"Not immune to damage dear Rebecca?" Jackson laughed as I yanked the blade from my side. I threw the dagger at him watching the blade dig into his chest. Jackson turned fleeing from the room. I wanted to follow but couldn't leave Mason alone with the council. I strode over to Mason while applying pressure to my own wound.

"Guess you aren't as close to Jackson as you thought," I muttered as Henry sprinted into the room. "About time!"

"The magical handcuffs," Henry snapped the cuffs on Mason. "Are you okay Becca?"

"I'm fine," I muttered looking at my wound. "The blade didn't even hit anything major." A council member approached me pushing me onto the couch. She lifted my shirt examining my cut.

"She's right. The cut isn't deep," she reassured Henry. I pulled my shirt down getting to my feet.

"I'm going to check on Ariana," I whispered before stepping out of the room. I bumped into her as I exited the room.

"What happened?" She asked as I pointed at Mason.

"They tried to get the council but I managed to keep them away," I muttered as she noticed my stab wound. "I'm fine." I said as Henry dragged Mason past us toward the basement with the council leaders following closely behind him. Ariana sighed as we walked down the stairs.

"What are you planning?" Henry demanded as Mason smirked.

"I am not talking," Mason spat as his blood oozed from his abdomen.

"Would you like me to help?" I asked as Henry smirked.

"Ladies first," Henry said handing me a knife. I walked toward him dragging the blade across his face.

"What are you after?" I demanded as he glared at me. "Why do you hate me?"

"I don't," he said though I could see through his lie.

"You do, I just don't know why," I said to him.

"Ask your aunt!" He growled as I froze. He hates my aunt and I'm the person he takes his anger out on.

"Why do you hate her?" I questioned as his grey eyes glared at me.

"She killed my brother," he spat as I called for Sapphire.

"Becca," her voice filled the room. She stood next to me as I looked toward her.

"Do you know him?" I asked softly. Her eyes analyzed Mason.

"I would know those eyes anywhere," I saw the pain in her eyes as she spoke. "Nathan."

"Who's Nathan?" I asked confusion flowing through me.

"The father of my twins," she muttered. "He tried to kill me so I had to take his life."

"You killed my brother!" Mason growled as everything clicked into place.

"I didn't want to hurt Nathan but I had no other option. I loved him like a brother and he tried to kill me. He killed my unborn child," Sapphire whispered tears spilling down her cheeks.

"Why attack me when I never met Nathan?" I asked as Mason glared.

"You look like her!" He spat as Sapphire glanced at me. I took her hand in mine as I resisted the urge to kill Mason.

"But I'm not Sapphire and besides she defended herself," I sniped as Mason glared.

"What are you planning?" Ariana asked as I saw the ignorance flash through his silver eyes. He had no clue what Jackson would do.

"Mason doesn't know anything so I vote we execute him to eliminate some risk from this situation," I said as the council began to deliberate.

"Sapphire," Ariana whispered taking her other hand.

"I don't think we should kill him," she blurted. "He is just hurting like I used to."

"Voice your opinion," I said giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. I wanted Mason dead but I trusted Sapphire completely. I stepped out of the room with Henry right behind me. I couldn't bring myself to hear Sapphire defend the man who took my mother from me. I took a shaky breath as Henry's arms wrapped around me.

"You feeling alright?" Henry whispered in my ear. I faced him with a sad smile.

"I'm handling my emotions I promise," I said as he caressed my cheek.

"I'm here when you are ready to talk," Henry said firmly.

"I know," I said before I entered the room. "Have they reached a decision?" I asked Ari.

"They are letting him go," Ariana said watching me closely. I didn't want him to live after what he did to my mother but I couldn't let my anger control me. "This feels wrong. He killed mom."

"Unchain him," I ordered Ariana emotionlessly.

"Becca, he killed our mom and you just want to let him leave?!" Ariana said her voice loud enough to catch the council's attention. Her dark eyes were filled with hate and pain.

"I am just as upset as you are Ariana but I trust Sapphire's judgment," I said as Ariana turned storming out of the room. I groaned in frustration but still uncuffed Mason. "Have a nice life." I saw an unreadable emotion in Mason's eyes as he stood before me.

"You surprise me Rebecca," Mason muttered planting a kiss on my cheek before vanishing. I turned walking out of the room and straight into my room. I just watched my mother's killer go free and I felt awful.